Last week, on Friday, Noah spiked a fever at daycare and I had to leave work to get him, but not before having an uncomfortable conversation with my boss about getting someone to "back me up" because when the kid is sick is the day to have a friend cover me?
Noah had a high fever and was lethargic and not drinking or eating, so to urgent care we went. He had swine flu, fun fun. Tamiflu is wonderful stuff and he was well on the way to feeling better by saturday evening, still didn't go trick or treating.
Tom took Isaiah and Gideon out. They got back late, and Gideon was wound up and tired, the way little kids who are overly stimulated can be. Getting him to bed was a fight and there was a lot of fit throwing involved. That night he woke up crying and had a high fever. Sunday he was listless and uninterested in anything. So I called in for monday too and took Gideon to urgent care. He had swine flu too. He was still running a fever that evening, so we were home Tuesday also. Can I just say that five days cooped up with sick kids is no fun?
Worked Wednesday, felt good, was happy to be back at work, had to get all my kids caught up. Thursday woke up with my eyes matted shut, snot clotting my throat, and a miserable hacking cough. I suffered through the day, trying not to hack at people or to touch anyone or any surface I didn't have to. Left ten minutes early and went to the student clinic.
The verdict was an upper respiratory infection. They didn't think it was swine flu, but rather a secondary infection on top of a virus that I hadn't fought off well. I got eye drops for my eyes and antibiotic pills for the infection. The drops certainly help my eyes, but the pills make my stomach sour, my mouth taste funny, and massive diarrhea. So now I am at home, on a pretty day, feeling yucky as much from the cure as from the illness, which as far as I can tell isn't getting much better.
Shane the ex has been emailing lately. He claims he is going to get a ride to come visit his sons Sunday. I haven't told Isaiah yet, because the man still has about 24 hours to back out. I wish he was involved in his kids. In all honesty, I wish he had been the honorable man I thought he was when I choose him.
Sometimes I think I must be defective somehow. I have some part missing, the part that attracts nice people, and knows how to seek out healthy relationships.
Anyway, in all the mess last week with sick kids and sick me and meds and doctors appointments, Mike got himself kicked out and then arrested. He keeps calling me collect on my cell phone, which won't accept the call, not that I want to pay ten dollars for a five minute phone call. I wish I could help mike, but I can't bail him out and I feel like maybe lock up is the best place for him right now. I also know he's going crazy in there.
I have tons of homework to get done, kids I want to play with, a house I need to clean, a meal i need to cook, papers I need to grade, and I am tired just from being sick.
Lets hope next week is a little better.
1 comment:
Sure am sorry to hear you're having a rough time of it. Being sick is bad enough but the kids to. It's such a shame you don't have any support. Good idea not telling that Dad may show up. Wait til the last minute and act like it's a surprise. I have a good quote: On a need to know basis. When they actually need to know like 5 minutes before anything happens. Boil the tooth brushes and change pillow slips every couple of days, till this is gone. Get well soon.
Post a Comment