The point is that when I got out on my own, I had pets for a while. And I liked them. But between trying to figure out how to be a real grownup and taking care of my son and going to work and to school, (and between you and me, terrible house keeping skills) I didn't have the time to dedicate to pets that they diserved. SO when I left shane and was once again building a life for myself as an independent person, I avoided pets.
We were too poor, too busy, lived in no pet housing. And all that is true. I leave the house at 6:30 and don't get home until 4:30 or five most nights. That is over ten hours out of the house. A pet shouldn't be shut up that long.
And we do have monetary concerns. Pets need vet care, food, and they tear things up until they are trained. All that costs money.
Pets make messes. Litter boxes smell. Dogs poop and chew. Cats scratch things and shred toilet paper and kleenexes.
But I miss having a pet. I miss having that warm presence that purrs and kneeds. I miss having a floppy, happy tail wagging to meet me and run for a ball and go for walks with me.
I had the chance to pet a cat today. I can't think how long its been since a cat let me just pet it. They tend to be shy of people they do not know, but this one was outside of my babysitter's house and Gideon was petting it while I herded NOah into the car. He was a soft orange tabby with a cool nose, soft fur, and a ready pur.
I miss having pets. Real pets, not aquarium fish or hermit crabs.
Is it selfish of me to want to move to a different home and change jobs so that I can get a pet?
1 comment:
A home t'aint a home without fur of some sort. I too had huge concerns with vet bills etc. My solution...got a 18 month old rescue cat, that was spayed, had all her shots, dewormed and healthy and on sale at the Humane society for half price, $68.00. She's an indoor cat, has her toys and could care less about if you're home or not. I don't have to worry about shots because she doesn't go out. I have her on wet food just incase of urinary tract issues and I don't have to see a vet unless she gets sick. I'm glad I have her she sure brings life into the home. An indoor kitty is a lot cheaper in the long run.
Post a Comment