Saturday, December 26, 2009

Post Holiday blues

Is it because after the euphoria and good feelings normal feels sad? Or is it a symptom of some deeper problem?Is it that the actual day can never meet the expectations of those who look forward to it for so long?

I DO know that as nice as Dad's wife wants to be, she has this way of being thoughtlessly cruel that is either the worlds sublest passive aggression or just plain rudeness. For example, she doesn't let anyone help with cooking or preparations or plans for the big meal, but she has to work and so spent liteally all night cooking and getting stuff ready. Great, except that she then went to bed at six am and made everyone wait to open presents until that evening, after we told the little kids to wait until christmas morning. Or another one, she takes Isaiah to the movies, Emily takes molly and grace, so in essence, all the big kids get to go see a movie. Then they get a bite and hit the mall, four shoe stores, and walmart. It takes hours. Everyone gets something, shoes, a toy, candy, but Isaiah. By nine thirty, when they got home, Isaiah was tired, sad, and feeling like the step child in the group.

Then there is the fact they don't have a living room or family room. The living room of the house looks like a storage shed and the 26 year old who sleeps 18 hours a day has his bed and computer in there. The big kids, Isaiah and grace, slept on the floor for our stay. I slept in graces room with noah and gideon. Everyone hangs out in bedrooms. No chair but kitchen chairs, just sitting on beds. Its weird. I was raised to think that sitting on someone's bed was a big deal and a violation of privacy and space. There's no where comfortable to just sit and relax.

And its cold. The keep the heat turned way down and unless you are cooking or running laundry to make heat, its very chilly inside. I am not a skinny little girl that gets cold, and I am freezing.

I miss dad, but as usual, I don't get to spend much time with him. He was at work while everyone else was gone on that outing, so I was stuck with two rowdy, mis-behaving toddlers. When he got home he didn't want to talk with me or play with the kids, he was tired, he snoozed. But now Twyla is home and he's perky enough to pay her attention. We plan on going to see Avatar tomorrow, but someone I suspect that if we stay gone from 2 to 9, she'll have a fit, or at least be highly displeased. And Pretty, perfect, petite emily who is in the navy, 21 years old and makes more than I do is flying out tomorrow, and Twyla acted like dad just had to be back to drive her 45 minutes to the airport. She's an adult with an income, why can't she rent a car when she buys her plane tickets? Why can't she buy Isaiah a treat and not just her sisters when they are all out together? Why is it that I am always the plain one, the fat one, the one that just didn't meet her potential?

2 comments:

msholiday said...

I'm sorry this happened to your family. Best bet is to stay home next year and the years after and let Dad visit you. If he doesn't visit and just calls, then only see him in the summer months when there isn't as much going on. Or better still meet up at a cottage somewhere between the two of you. That's what I did with my parents, when I visited I stayed at a little weenie one room cottage and cooked outside, I had four kids a dog and a parrot. And only visited my parents for a couple of hours a day. The kids went swimming or played in the sand in the evening we roasted marshmellows. While your Dad is married to the "B" you need to think of some other way of doing your visit's. Gear it to the kids and you can't go wrong.
My heart goes out to you, no one should feel this way at Christmas....but many do.
You know my motto: This to shall pass. New Year is comeing and I wish you and your family nothing but the best in the coming new year.

Alyce said...

He'll never visit. He works at walmart, he never has even two days off in a row.

I hate to think that she is a "B", but it may be true. She makes him happy and doesn't owe me money, so I guess I shouldn't worry too much about it.