Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Pressure

I can't seem to compose a decent post. I start one, write a bit, get side tracked, loose track of where I was going with it, and start all over.

I am thinking about starting another blog in the new year. I know, I'm a blog - o - holic. I have this one which I am always whining on, and the other one with the fiction that I rarely write and almost never finish.

But these two are both very selfish, very me-centered. My thoughts, my opinions, my ideas. I talk a lot, but don't back a whole hell of a lot up. I'm thinking of starting something that is less about me and more about things I think are important. I've been kicking around ideas for a while.

There are things that I always stop and notice, and thanks to the storage in gmail, save. Storied about murdered little children. They almost never make the national news, but if you scour the internet and based on just news results in google, it looks like two to three young kids are killed a week by being beaten to death. This is a very unscientific number and may be way off. I suspect its low.

I'd like to take note of these small souls' passing somehow. But a blog just about murdered children that I have no real connection to? Seems a bit macabre.

I'm also thinking about basic child abuse prevention and resources. But who would see them and why would my randomly gleaned information be any more useful than what's already out there?

Parenting? I'm not perfect. I think that many of parenting choices are considered less than ideal when compared to the current thinking in parenting. And besides, what works for me and my family may not work for some one else's family or situation.

I have no interest in making money off this possible new blog. I'd welcome traffic and comments, but I probably wouldn't make the commenting a center piece of the thing. I feel like there are things out in the world that we parents need to be aware of. Whether these things are the risks to our children we didn't see, the wisdom of strangers, help we didn't know was there or help we didn't know we could offer.

Between my over use of the internet and facebook and what I've seen in my time on the planet, I know one thing. Talk is cheap. We can talk about issues facing parents. We can talk about problems with the planet. We can talk about ass-hole politicians. We can talk about abused and neglected children. WE can copy and past hokey facebook statuses.

But these things are ultimately futile actions that just serve to make ourselves, the talkers and posters, feel better about themselves.

The question I have, is would me starting another blog be just more talk talk talk?

Because talk is cheap and action speaks.

No comments: