But there are also things I really don't like about this job. The endless parade of forms. Forms to show we followed the law, forms to give to other teachers, forms to tell people who know how to do their jobs, how to do their jobs. Forms to be faxed, forms to be mailed, forms online, forms in my head.
I also don't like the feeling of having to fight for the respect I am due from other adults or to prove my own worth in a classroom.
I love the kids. I love learning and I love teaching. I love being able to make a good salary and know I can be off in the evenings to be a mother an on weekends to enjoy my life and summers to take it easy.
But I don't like the forms.
Noah started preschool. That took forms too. Enrollment, authorized pick up and drop offs, vaccines (6!), health screenings. All forms that had to be filled out, acquired, signed, dropped off. He did great by the way, his favorite part was lunch (free lunches, also a form).
Isaiah starts seventh grade tomorrow. I hope this year is better than last, but I recall my entire middle school career being a long slog of lonliness, misery and struggle. I am having trouble seeing much different for my oldest. He is so much like me in so many ways.
Gideon started first grade. He also did great, but his teacher left me a little miffed. Don't tell me to bring two sacks worth of supplies and then not let my child put them down in the classroom before going to breakfast.
I have pink eye. At least I hope that's it. I've been treating it for three days though, and no improvement. I got antibiotic oinment from the doc, adding to that some oral antibiotics I happen to stockpile like some people stockpile canned goods and bottled water. Those didn't seem to be helping, so this morning I added some acyclovir to the mix (an antiviral). Call me what you will, but the prospect of attempting to teach and command respect from kids and peers with a red, swollen, weepy eye while trying to see out of croocked, out of date, half broken glasses is not something I want to experience.
If I am not lots and lots better in the morning, I am going back to the doctor. When I was 13 I had a herpes 1 outbreak in my eye, I am afraid that this is what it is. That had me banned from school for two weeks.
It didn't help my academic achievement, my sense of self worth, or my confidence then. I don't think it will do much for my career now.
Hence the cocktail of drugs.
One the other hand, I'm a size 14. I haven't been this small since before Gideon was born. I gave away a few pairs of size 18 pants that I didn't want to have floating around. I've also been meeting a teacher I work with to walk the track. We have a goal of 100 miles this year. So far I've done 3.5. When I'm not feeling sick, depressed, pissed, and miserable about having this eye crap, its a nice half hour. Tonight I made myself. Now I am going to go find an icepack, goop up my eye, take some pills and go to bed.
No comments:
Post a Comment