Sunday, April 24, 2011

Happy, but non-traditional

So for Easter weekend, instead of dragging my kids to church services, coloring eggs no one would eat and hiding plastic candy eggs the kids would fight over and buying toys the boys wouldn't really want, we went and had some family fun.

Friday evening I booked a hotel in Tulsa and we drove down. The boys splashed in the hotel pol while I relaxed in the hot tub thingy. Then we ate delivered food and watched movies.

Saturday we got up and ate breakfast at the hotel the then went to the zoo. The weather was a little on the cool side and a little damp, but it was actually perfect because we were outside and moving around. The boys had a blast, but pooped out before we'd seen the whole thing. which is ok, because we can always go back later.

We drove home saturday and spent the evening exhausted.

Today, Sunday, was the dinner with the extended family. My aunt told me they planned on eating at one, and she wanted me to bring a veggie or a dessert. Well, I was tired so I choose strawberries and yogurt dip and fresh veggies and ranch dip. While I appreciate that they see me as adult enough to be trusted to bring things, I would still appreciate a bit more warning.

Anyway, we got there and the food was all eaten. My cousin, Kalyee, needed to go to work, so they pushed lunch up to accomodate her. Sweet of them, but they could also have given me a call letting me know. We drove an hour to eat leftovers and say good bye.

Funny thing is, this isn't the first time they've done this. When my mom was buried the same aunt hosted a dinner. When the service was over I stayed a while. I can't communicate my state of mind at the time, but crazy-sad is as close as I can get. When they finally closed up her casket we did go to my aunt's for the dinner. Which had already started. And was, in fact, all gone.

Because the same daughter was hungry.

I love my aunts, uncles, and cousins. But there are also times when I am reminded why it is that I've distanced myself a bit.

No comments: