Wednesday, August 10, 2011

I fail as a parent

My 12 year old has summer school because his grades last year were so bad. Its not a case of "if he wants to" its a case of "he must if he wants to advance".

Well, summer school is 4 hours in the morning for two weeks. Its all on a computer. I get him up and send him on his way, usually he is complaining about not having had breakfast. If he would get up when I wanted him to, the food thing wouldn't actually be a problem.

He's skipped two days of summer school Friday he skipped to play with his friends because I told him he wouldn't be playing with them after school as he was going to his dad's house. He did the same thing Monday just because he got away with it the first time. The monday skip resulted in a call coming to me Tuesday while I was in preservice meetings. When I listened to my messages I finally found out what the deal was.

I am so mad at him. I haven't yelled or screamed even though there is a part of me that really wants to. I took his phone, his laptop, his TV and his game system. He's ground the rest of the summer and the first two weeks of school. He's on chores detail.

I am so fed up with this shit from him. He takes off and doesn't answer his phone so I can't ask him where he is and what he's doing or tell him to come home. His standard response to anything is disrespect and an immediate "no".

I know he is at the age when my brothers started fighting with my mom all the time. They didn't turn out well. My aunt sent her son to live with his dad at about this age, the son is now a long term drug addict that bounces between active use and claiming he's in recovery.

I don't know what to do other than place him on lock down and leave him there until he turns 18.

2 comments:

perdido said...

I think the commando approach was good (remove everything and make him earn it all back - read dr phil). I have also known some moms that have had trouble with the their boys at this age and I think you are right, it's the turning point where they go good or bad - don't know if you can but you need to stay on top of him every minute.

perdido said...

oh and you're not a failure! parenting is hard and you've already got the best attribute of a parent - you actually care!