Thursday, July 24, 2008

No Regrets

For the most part I like things the way they are. I like being a mom and I like it that I get to make the descions without having to deal with another adult. But then there are days I wish that the kids had a real dad. Gideon has gotten to the place that he calls everyone dad. Its cute, but its also sad. He knows something is missing and he needs that influence. He is at the age where he watches adults to learn how to be. Thing is. I am who he watches. So instead of having a guy to watch shave and pee and be a guy. He watches me put on makeup. He steals my makeup bag and goes and puts it on. I'm afraid he's going to turn out weird or confused.

But isn't that a stupid reason to throw one's self into dating. Because I'm afraid my kids will grow up confused? The things that plague me.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

My brother grew up with three older sisters and a mom, and he had makeup and princess clothes put on him more than you can imagine. He's now 28, six feet tall, and lives with his girlfriend. He's not weird or confused. Don't worry Alley! What your kids are learning is that you are fun and love them. That's all you need!!!

Alyce said...

That is the important part. It still hurts me to see him so hungry for male affection, the kind boys get from dads, and to know I set things in motion in such a way that that will probably never happen for him.