Sunday, May 3, 2009

Sunday night

Okay, so I accomplished damn little today. Part of it was the weather, chilly and rainy with low clouds that feel more like October then like May. Part of it was the book. I'm worthless when I have a book to work on. ITs why I stopped getting them so often. I guess it means I'm lazy. 

I knew there was laundry to run, floors that needed mopped. But I read the book. I stayed up too late last night and spent my spare moments today reading. I finished a 300+ page book in about 24 hours.  There must be something in my brain chemistry that makes me like that. Able to focus on the book, but unable to pull myself out of the fantasy to get shit accomplished. Or I'm very lazy. 

We did do grocery shopping today. A big trip, hoping to last the week without having to go back, and hoping to not be tempted to eat out so much. That being said, my oldest son decimated a family sized bag of doritos this afternoon. The doctor says he's under weight. The kid stuffs his face with chips, ice cream, snacks- to the point that I have to tell him to stop because he runs through it so fast, but then I make a dinner of tacos, spanish rice, chips and salsa and he barely eats a plateful. I tried the whole, no junk food period thing for a while, but that didn't improve his eating of dinner and he lost weight when he went back to the doctor. I did get him some insure type shakes, told him to drink one every morning for breakfast. The things are EXPENSIVE though. HE better gain some weight on them.

What else. I need to get back on the job app pony. I got a form letter rejection last week, that combined with the disheartening interview in dodge city kinda knocked the wind out of my sails. I'm hopful about Riverton, but I hate to sit back and just wait for it, ya know? I have apps in at Joplin schools, but there is the same problem of having to convince them that I'm worth interviewing, then not blowing the interview. 

And then there's the whole contract fiasco. Did I tell you about that? I think I did. Anyway, contracts were handed out the 17 of april, due back the 30th. IT has a clause in there that if you sign and then back out, they get to take 900 dollars off your last check. That would be like taking money already earned and 900 is over half my monthly income. SO I wasn't comfortable just signing that contract, knowing I'm looking for another job. Well, Friday I went into the bosses office and talked to him about it, and he wasn't happy. It was late, it had been due, i shoudl have talked to him before now.

Except that the many spends a solid half his time not in his office. I'm sure its all official business, but it doesn't change the fact that he isn't there and that the receptionist (who probably makes more then I do) and the other office lady (business director is her title, but i think that she mostly serves as official gossip and local tight ass) don't need to know my business. NOt that anyone there knows how to mind theirs.

Anyway, he was short with me, I held my ground about that, because I don't even know who the hell I would contact for permission, and it isn't listed on the document (which it should in my opinion). THings calmed down a bit, he called the sprigfield office where the head guy would be and spoke to HIS receptionist (catholic school administrator seems to be a good job for not being in the office) and arranged to speak to the man about it monday. 

THen, later that day my boss, the one who knew who to call and what needed addreses with him (see still no one telling ME what I needed to do) collapsed and was rushed to the hospital with what I am told (who knows if the folks doing the telling are accurate) is sever kidny stones. 

SO, What the hell am I supposed to do? The guy has my unsigned contract, which I am thinking now I should have insisted on holding on to. They can claim I just didn't want it and cut me loose, retract my good references and royally screw me for next year. 

Or things can work out just fine. GOD, I hate this. I hate not knowing. I hate feeling like I am stumbling through all this blindfolded. Maybe that's why I read so much when I have a book. In the book evil is well defined, the hero kicks ass, gets hurt, but gets back up and is okay in the end, surrounded by friends and allies. Me, I'm all alone on the jagged edge with three boys who think I can keep the boogy man away. 

Some days I'm not sure I really can.

No comments: