Mostly it was a lazy day and I loved it.
It blows my mind how fast things have started moving. This is the last week of school at work. I have to get grades in and get my room in order for next year. I plan on making the students put in some manuel labor on that front, I even bought scrubby stuff and sponges to help them out. Friday is the last day with a staff meeting and a lunch. Then its back to pittsburg to gather up my boys. And then we leave for Tennesse.
My summer classes start on june eighth. I will probably stay a week or ten days and then head home. The boys will stay with dad until the first part of july, when I will go get them.
Its a long time to be apart, but we did something similar last summer and it worked out quite well. The kids had a blast and dad got a super dose of grandkids to tide him over for a while. They are all going to have a blast, and we will appreciat eachother all the more when I get them back.
I had an interesting conversation with a guy I met with online, we chat a bit, but nothing more. He seems to be under the impression that there are lots of women who purposely have children out of wedlock, with the intention of raising them alone, only to realize how hard it is and go lookng for a guy.
I have a bit of a problem with this whole line of thinking, and tend to be just a teeny bit outspoken.
I think that there are a multitide of reasons why single motherhood has increased in resent years. I think that it has to do with the ease of divorce, the increase in sexual freedom, and the fact that single parents aren't as stigmatized (at least overtly) as they used to be.
I also think that this line of thinking is a subtle bit of bigotry that makes it easy for guys to blow off women who have kids. And it allows them to feel like victims. ITs the women who get pregnant without telling the guy, only to stick him with child support later, and its the same women who are trolling bars and websites for men with jobs and money to take care of them and their brats.
I'm sure there are women who spend lots of effort on finding men to take care of them, but I am not one of them. I spend a lot of effort taking care of myself.
I don't know what his thinking was in that line of conversation. I don't know if he thought I had some sort of single motherhood club insight, I don't know if it was a chickenshit way of scaring me off.
What I do know is that I don't need anyone to take care of us. I would like a partner and spouce, but I don't need one. And I feel like I spend a lot of time defending and justifying my situation and my kids, and I'm tired of it.
No comments:
Post a Comment