Saturday, May 2, 2009

What I did versus what I should have done

I SHOULD have cleaned the house, washed the bedding, folded laundry, graded papers and updated the grade book. I SHOULD have been combing the internet for new and exciting teaching jobs to apply to. 

What I DID was different. What I DID was to sleep in, going so far as to bribe the boys with koolaid sippy cups and cartoons. What I DID was then get up and feed them jelly sandwiches for breakfast and shower. What I DID was take them to the grocery store, the food stamos don't go on until tomorrow, but we were out of toilet paper and milk, so there ya go. What I DID was go put up the groceries and then take them to the library. Isaiah wanted to get a library card of his own, I was so proud until I realized he wanted to check out movies with it. I told the librian to put a note that he wasn't allowed to check out movies unless his mom was with him. 

Needless to say, my little guys have no idea how to behave at a library. They ran around. They pulled down books at random, flipped through them and then tossed them aside. They did a lot of running, out of the children's room, into the YA room, upstairs to the adult section. The librarians were pretty good about it, just told me that kids do it all the time, especially when its been so nasty outside (its rained every single day this week, and all the playgrounds in the area are flooded wastes). One patron did the pursed lipped glare thing at them, old biddy probably never bothered the have kids, but I looked her straight in the face and apologized for them running around, and her face relaxed. I didn't bother to try to stay and talk to her. I did snag a thoughly nerdy book for my own enjoyment. (wizards and cops and vampires and spirits and haunted skulls and magical dogs, all in one book!). Then we booked out of there because the kidds were seriously to into running around in the large space.


Then I took them to lunch at McDonalds, classy I know, but we ate inside and they pretty much sat and ate once we had our food. Once they started trying to wander, we left. I think the running they did at the library probably contributed to their mellowness at the resturaunt. 

But we weren't done there!

My school was hosting an art day, its actually an all day thing, running from one to nine, but I figured it would be better to take the kids early when it wasn't crowded and they were fresher. WE got there a little early, but the booths were set up and the art teacher (NEAT lady) had found a local couple that played folksy music while the activities commensed. They had students dressed as artists and little boothes to do mazes, make art with pipe cleaners, "go fishing" for prizes, and buy little pottery bowels the kids had made- salsa and chips free with purchase. 

We stayed until the little guys started to get cranky, and then we left. The little two were so sound asleep when we got home that they didn't even wake up when I took them out of their car seats and put them in bed. They napped for ever. 

Now they are waiting for their fish sticks to cook and I'm contentedly blogging about what I did today. Life is good. I'm worried about how I will afford to get a place, get the kids to and from their grampa's this summer, and were or even if I will be working next fall, but today I had fun with my kids. And life is very very good. 

No comments: