Lent has begun, a time of fasting, alms-giving, and prayer to contemplate and prepare for the Easter Season, when we celebrate the death and ressurrection of Christ. At school that means we went to Mass today and it was a longer than normal service, and we usually go on Thursdays so the whole day seemed like it should be Thursday. Personally it means sacrifice, not something that is for you, but something you love and enjoy and in giving it up you are fasting, depriving yourself of something, emptying yourself so the space it leaves can be filled with the SPIRIT. Giving up sugar so you loose weight, not a fast. Giving up fast food so you can save money, not a fast. Giving up television so you can have more time to dedicate to prayer and being a parent- that's a fast. But not mine, I'm not that good.
Fasts are supposed to be private, you aren't supposed to advertise what you are fasting from or let everyone know how miserable its making you. The idea is to keep your faith, prayers, alms, and fasts, private, between yourself and God. That being said, here's what I'm giving up.
1) as a single parent, I don't get out and experience much intimacy, and as a red blooded human being I like it, and being a single, I tend uh, well, not going to anymore.
2) I'm going to read to my little boys every night. Not just some nights, every night.
I'm going to stop allowing all this STUFF this NOISE from my life drown out what is really important. This means not getting upset over class. Not allowing my brothers' problems to stress me out.
Not sure how spiritual these are, but they are what I feel compelled to work on.
2 comments:
There's SO much truth in this post. My "babies" are grown-up, but, from time to time, a book I read to them as little kids gets mentioned. Favorite? Horton Hatches the Egg by Dr. Seuss.
Thanks for opening up this conversation.
We love that one, although I am such a sap I tend to tear up at the end when the baby elephant bird gets hatched.
Post a Comment