I don't understand this sports worship thing in our culture. I don't. I mean, what do these people really have to be admired for? They train a lot? So do SWAT police, and soldiers. They compete to be the best in their fields? So do academics and any one who has to try to get a job in a flooded job market.
We have the olympics that occur every four years, great international competition, but these sports also have yearly world championships . . . so why do we need to have the olympics?
And then we have pro players of all sports in this country making bazillions of dollars, some of whom also misbehave terribly . . . and others of whom seem content to blow the cash as fast as they can . . .
In colleges athletes (for some sports) are treated to the best housing, better access to cafeterias and fitness centers, and usually have lots of "help" with grades that other students do not have access too.
In high school we have students who sit in class wiped out and exhausted all day . . because they've been burning it at both ends for practice and games. We have parents who think the athletes should be cut a break. We have administrators who place so much importance on making sure all the athletic rules are followed that corners are cut on the actual school work.
And here I am, the most unathletic person on the planet. It isn't that I don't like going out and having fun or against playing games, but I don't see the importance people place on them. There are so many more important things to focus on, aren't there?
And damn it, I want the Olympics to end so I can get my shows back!
No comments:
Post a Comment