Thursday, February 24, 2011

You know You're Important when . . . .

They follow you into the bathroom at work.

scenario is as follows: I had state testing to administer first, and second periods, followed by an IEP meeting third period, seminar and then another test to administer fourth period. We have block scheduling so each period is an hour and a half with 44 minutes for seminar and half an hour for lunch.

When you administer a state test, you can't leave the room. You have to watch the kids and make sure they follow all the rules, and actually read the passages. If they need the questions and options read to them you really have to stay in the room. IEP meetings take forever, are nerve wraking for the Sped Teacher, and as busy as I've been all week, I had paperwork to copy, gather up, and paperclip into packets. Seminar is 20 special ed kids who mostly have ADD and ADHD. I also had to meet with a parent who couldn't come down to enroll.

Fourth block is directly following seminar. And the student didn't show up to test, and I had to hunt him down, and the para that was supposed to co-proctor wondered off too while I was hunting him down.

So, as I didn't know where my student was, didn't know where my para was, and hadn't been to the bathroom all day, I went to the bathroom before going down to the office. I hate to admit it, but sometimes the bathroom stall is the only place I can stop for a moment, take a breather, and center myself. So it is possible that I had been in there longer than a minute when a voice says "Miss _________, are we NOT testing today then?"

Forcing me to reply, "Nope, just figured I would potty before I went and found my student". Considering the situation, I think I did a good job of not being bitchy.

Incidentally, I did eventually find the student, who completed part one of the Kansas Reading Assessment.

I think I'm gonna go to bed early tonight. Because there will be more testing tomorrow.

No comments: