Thursday, September 1, 2011

Am I cursed?

I admit to not being perfect. I will never be in the running for homemaker of the anything. But I try to find a balance between living in filth and obscessing over it. I think that most days I do ok. This rental house, with its ancient carpeting and other quarks associated with old homes that haven't been well maintained makes it so that no matter how hard one cleans, it never feels clean.

Anyway, after a particularly bad day at work, I get home and put my feet up, which is normal for our little family. The boys went to the park and I got some chicken started thawing for dinner.

Then there's a ring at the door bell. Its an SRS caseworker. Someone has reported my home to child protective services. According to the report, there are rodent droppings and roach infestations everywhere, the boy's rooms are full of garbage, the washer and drier haven't been used in months and are covered in mold, and the boys are terribly underweight.

None of this is true, and no one has been over to see my home in at least two weeks. Now, the trash can was full, with some boxes broken down and sitting next to it. There was laundry on the floor in the laundry room, waiting to be sorted into loads and washed. I run the washer and drier every day. While the kids' rooms tend to be messy, and I will admit that despite my no food upstairs rule, there seems to be a regular parade of popcorn bags coming down the stairs, they certainly do not have garbage piled in their rooms.

But it is still upsetting. I can't be perfect and these accusations seem to pop up all the time despite me trying to both limit peoples' access to my home and to maintain it in a decent state and I don't understand what it is that I am doing wrong.

And I realize that this shouldn't feel like such a big deal. A person showed up, looked around, and
and admitted that there wasn't anything like abuse or neglect going on. She's coming back
tomorrow only because she needs to put eyes on all the boys and two were out playing when she
was here.

But I feel like my relationship with my kids is threatened, and like my ability to parent is being
questioned and like I am a failure. I have had this happen to me three times, I know people who
have kept truly awful homes who've never had SRS show up. I feel cursed.

I had a bad day. It scared me and made me feel bad after what was already a difficult day at work.

And no one in my life was at all interested in offering me even a little bit of comfort or reassurance.

My dad told me, hey hire a house keeper. My guy asked my why I had a bad day and when I told
him he never bothered to reply back.

My brothers are more interested in trying to get money out of others than they are in even listen
ing to my problems, and now freaking blogger is acting weird.

I feel like crying, but I can't. I literally can't seem to work up actual tears, but I feel awful inside.

I want to literally crawl into a hole and never ever come out. I feel so lonely and like there is
no one and nothing in my life that just cares about me. I know it sounds selfish, but even the most
disgusting, rude, unpleasant people seem to have some one to hug when things get hard.

I don't.

I have a man who I consider a boyfriend who wants to keep emotion out of it. I have a friend I met
through work who seems only half interested in being my friend. I have brothers who are
messes. I have a cousin who is so wrapped up in her own pathology that I have real trouble getting
closer to her than I am, she's a void of black emotion that I get sucked into.

Ironic from me, but still true.

Please, help me not feel so envious of all the people out there who have happy lives. Help me to
accept that I apparently will never be happy, but that I must be okay with just being employed
and the mother to my three boys. That the fact that others have things much harder should
be enough for me to feel alright. Please help me find some kernal of joy in the fact that I feel sad,
lonely, envious, and over whelmed most of the time. That this feeling of treading water badly is
my normal. That my decency as a person, my ability to teach and to parent, and probably my
lovability, intellect and physical attractiveness will never be good enough to have the kind of life
I want.

What do I want?

I want calm. I want to be able to drop my kids at school, go to work, work a full day, and then go
pick up my kids without the drama of "I'm late because school gets out ten minutes before I can
leave and I have to get two kids from two schools that get out at the same time".

I want to feel loved. Not kid loved. LOVED, not sexed, loved. I want someone to love me. Why is
that so unreasonable? I want to have people in my life I can actually lean on.

I want to feel at least adequate at what I do all day. I want to feel like there is something real I
can actually do for these crazy kids. Right now I feel like I'm fighting forces I can't begin to beat.

I had three girls get into a screaming match in my classroom over a seventeen magazine today. I
had another girl tell me she didn't care what I did to her schedule, she was moving in a couple of
months and dropping out anyway. I have a 10th grade boy on my caseload that refuses to do
anything at all, in any class.

What do I do with that? Just refuses to do anything?

I feel like I'm drowning and everyone around me is sitting in luxury boats watching.

2 comments:

perdido said...

who do you think made the call? I mean that is just weird!

hopefully things will start looking up - usually when I'm feeling the worst and thinking how terrible my life is, is when something good happens.

Or other times when I'm feeling down on my life I try to remind myself of all I have to be thankful for like healthy kids, my own health, not having to be an adult caretaker (if you knew anyone who had to do this, omg, it is hard!) and I start to feel a little better

msholiday said...

I've been reading you for years. I'm so sorry this happened to you. I have a sneaking feeling that this is someone you know and have known for a while and it's probably the same person who has always call on you. Just remember: This too shall pass.
I know this makes you feel terrible, there is nothing worse than to be questioned like this. You are a great Mom and always have been.
You are a beautiful woman, and deserve love and I think you will find it. I know you don't think so but you DO have your head screwed on right.
Warm hugs, and remember everything will be alright.