So I was watching the news today. And it was all doom and gloom about the housing situation. And they said that downpayments of ten to twenty percent were required right now. And it occured to me that I now make enough money to save some. I could put away twenty percent of my checks and at my current salary, I could have a decnt downpayment in five years.
Is it hubris to think like that? To put mountains of money away rather then buy goodies with it?
It feels like hubris. Like I might be taking on more then I know. Like I'm being glib. But still. It would be nice to own something. Something real.
So I think I will. Just save lots of money as I go along. Pay all my bills as I go.
And see where I am in five years. Maybe this whole mortgage mess will be cleared up by then and a single mom whose made her share of mistakes can get a loan for a decent little house. Something away from noise and too many lights. Shadey. With a deep front porch. And a fenced yard.
That would be nice.
I dunno if I'm strong-willed enough for it. But I'm willing to try.
4 comments:
I think your goal is great. I found that it was easier not to not spend money Here is the story of stuff: http://www.storyofstuff.com/ Sure helped me to stop spending money.
Good luck, you sure have a good head on your shoulders.
Singingfeather
Yes do save! Owning a house has been a dream of mine for a long time. What a great investment.
You can absolutely do it. Go for it.
I don't know if I can save money at the rate I want. But I do know that its got to be better then spending my dollars on the newest gismos and the bestest clothes.
And it isn't like we don't know how to be poor already.
I do know that there are a few THINGS I need to upgrade around the house, but these will be one-time things and probably worked into christmas and birthdays over the following year.
That and tires. Need to buy tires.
Post a Comment