Tuesday, February 16, 2010

My boss is an idiot

Okay, so we have a very small school and its a parochial school to boot. The boss, a guy who has very little qualification for the job other than a well positioned brother in law and the fact that he is an alum, has decreed that lockers shall not be locked. Its a school policy. No locks.

Earlier this year an iphone went missing. He bent over backwards, to emphasize that the phone was LOST not STOLEN, "don't say stolen" he said over and over. This kid happened to be a pain in his ass and not his favorite student.

Well, last week, an ipod touch went missing. It happened to belong to a student whose family is big in the local Catholic community and who has other kids coming up through the system. For this kid, we had a guilt inducing meeting in the morning (the boss encouraged the kids to come forward with information about the ipod and some graffiti we've had issues with), and a school wide locker search in the afternoon.

The ipod was not found. Kids who know this student are implying that the ipod did not disappear from a locker but during an away game - as in the student may have lost it or dropped it.

I did not get into teaching to play gestapo and search lockers and bags. I certainly didn't get into this to search for a item a kid lost that he shouldn't have had at school in the first place, especially when the same situation for a different child got a "tough luck kid" from the boss.

If there is anything I hate more than gestapo actions, its unfair actions. Rules and regulations that apply to one student and not another one. If I knew of a way to let the diocee know what was going on without getting myself fired, I would. But I doubt they care. So much of what the church does seems to be diametrically opposite what it promotes.

They promote fair and livable wages, they pay lower than comparable positions in private or public areas. They promote uplifting the poor, but they build schools and institutions that are financially out of reach to poor people. They promote fair play and equality, but the people in their institutions seem to be dedicated to nepotism and showing favor to those with money and power.

I guess I'm feeling a bit disappointed in it all tonight.

And to boot, Isaiah got caught surfing porn, called me in the middle of class, and proceeded to fight with Tom for no reason.

3 comments:

Alyce said...

One good thing, my new glasses are ready to be picked up. . . tomorrow I will have new eyes.

msholiday said...

Porn....that's not good at all. Make sure he knows that women don't behave that way unless they are desperate for money. New glasses, new look, nice.

Alyce said...

We talked about how people are not objects and when they are photographed like that, or take photos like that, they are being reduced to objects.

And even if they are doing it on their own, its still sad for them and we shouldn't support the people who make money off that.