My computer at work is messed up. There were thunderstorms Friday and I think it got zapped or something. anyway, it will not connect to the internet so no streaming videos about the immune system like I'd planned, no answering parents' emails, and no checking my own emails and working to find another job on my breaks. I can't even enter grades because their stored on a separate server somewhere.
But lets rewind to this morning. We got up and couldn't find the kitten. He was fine when we all went to bed. After looking for him we found him in a closet, looked like he'd been sleeping. Boys picked him up and were playing with him, I got after them to put him down and get dressed.
And I noticed that he didn't move from where he'd been put down. I go get him, he lets me hold him and purrs when I scritch his head. But when I set him on his feet, he just falls to one side.
I put him on a blanket in my room and finish dressing three rowdy boys and myself. As they are piling into the car, I check him again. He's still on the folded blanket.
I decide to call the vet. They don't open until 7:30, and I need to roll out of town at 7:00. I call Tom who agrees to take him over when they open.
Fast forward. Tom's finally gotten the kitten into teh vet. And the news isn't good. The kitty has a spinal fracture. Probably the result of climbing in that closet and falling onto the edged of the storage bin there. He isn't going to get better.
I gave the vet permission to put the kitten down. And then had to spend all day dreading telling my boys their kitten was dead.
I chickened out. Told Isaiah that the Cat had a congital condition. Told the little two that he's sick and at teh doctor. I can't tell them he's dead. I don't know how to explain that to a five and a three year old.
I am a complete coward.
1 comment:
That is a tough one for sure. Hope everything is alright. Your youngest are young enough that they won't remember this when they are adults. It will bother you more than them I'm sure and bring up past griefs for sure.
{{{Hugs}}
Post a Comment