Saturday, May 22, 2010

What do you do?

When the one you'd like isn't interested and the one you aren't interested in wont stop texting? Its always that way isn't it?

The one(s) I like are either too far, too busy, too . . . whatever to want to get involved with me. And the one(s) who are interested in me, I find uncompatable, either too old, too crazy, not smart enough, too unemployed, too living with mother.

Is it like this for everyone? Are we all searching for something the universe has decided to withhold?

Some days I wonder if this wouldn't be easier if we all were born, grew up, married and worked in the same tiny villiage like our ancestors did. I mean sure, there was the occasional old maid, women were property, and infant mortality was high, but people didn't have the illusion that we now have that if we just look hard enough, wait a little longer, we will find someone that is absolutely, positively, perfect.

But perfect isn't perfect, even when its perfect. (if that makes any sense at all)

So, knowing that perfect is impossible, what must we decide to settle with, allow, look past? Can a good relationship take place when one partner feels that the other is significantly less intelligent? How about when one partner is bi-polar? What is one lives at home still?

Or does one have to toughen up and decide that these guys, sweet and well meaning though they may be, will be more trouble than they will even be worth and simply drop off the local dating scene for a while?

And if the local dating scene seems to only be serving up the marginally employed, failed to launch and lacking in brain power, where does one turn?

Or does one swear it off entirely and resign one's self to one night stands or celibacy? Neither appeals.

Maybe its just too late and I'm too drugged on allergy meds to make much sense of this.

1 comment:

MindyMom said...

Now that I've started dating again it seems to be the case for me too. The ones I'm interested in aren't in me and the ones I'm not ARE. Then there's the in-betweeners, the ones that seem normal and nice but are just too vanilla for me.

*sigh*

I DESPISE dating.