Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Answered prayers and broken promises.

Okay, so its a great headline isn't it? I could so be a writer. Wait, I am a writer. I just don't get paid for it. Or do much editing, or proof reading. Or have any deadlines.

I'm a free range writer!

Anyway, so I have to job in Iola nailed down. Have a contract signed and approved. Have scheduled some meetings to go over district procedures and get to know folks a bit. Its all comeing together. Except for the part about moving to Iola. It's a small town in rural kansas. People in this part of the world don't move around much. There isn't much of a rental market. I'd been looking in papers, on craig's list and online and not been finding much.

A lot of run down two bedrooms that have been home to countless young kids and JuCo students. A few high end, high rent places that seem like they'd been built by developers who'd been unable to sell them in the local market. (Its called research folks, no one in rural kansas wants to pay $200K for a new house). And I'm not willing to pay $1000 a month and not even be allowed to keep pets.

But, I finally found a three bedroom place. Rent is higher than I currently pay, but the house is much nicer on the inside, and its situated on a quiet cul de sac surrounded by other nice, single family houses. Good place. worked a deal with the landlord. He will accept a lower amount of rent for a few months until the new job starts paying in september. then I will pay a little more until I've made up the difference.

So, all that's covered. Prayers for a new job, a way to move away from these asshats who call themselves my brothers and the ability to give my boys a nice life answered.

BUT

I am moving in two weeks.

I am not rolling in cash.

I have three grown men who, despite my telling them it had to be temporary, have been counting on living with me. I can't pay the new rent and the old rent at the same time.

I think I'm gonna burn the old landlord. He can't evict me before I've had a chance to move. I'm gonna turn the utilities off on my way out the door. The guys can take over the lease or get out too.

I hate doing it. I tend to pride myself on being responsible and not fucked up. But I think its the only way. I'll probably end up owing the guy money, which I will then pay back later and over time. My credit, dismal as it is, may take a hit.

And with all that said and done, we'll still be short this summer.

I wonder if I'll ever be at a point in life when I'm not worried about having enough money? Does that happen? Or do your bills and responsibilities increase with income? I hope its the later. I hope I don't screw all this up. I hope I'm not forgetting something important that's going to bite my ass later on.

No comments: