So, tomorrow is Father's Day. I hate Father's day, always have. When I was a kid it was cause I didn't have a father worth celebrating and resented having to make stupid cards or write stupid essays or pick out stupid presents for someone who I felt didn't deserve it. (If you recall my options were the alcoholic drug addict who left us or neglected us, or the pedophile step father my mother was married to for three torturous years).
Now I hate it for similar reasons. Yes, I love my dad. But lets face it, our relationship is more on of casual friendship than parent/child. I'm glad when he does well, worry when he struggles, and try not to dwell too much on the children he's done more for than he did for me. (HER children)
I sent the boys off to their dad's house. He has a Star Wars movie marathon planned this weekend. I guess I can see that being something he'd choose to do on his special day. I think today they are doing family yard work -yay!
anyway, my brother really hates fathers day. Tom has two kids. He had one when he was 18 and the other when he was 24. He has been shut out of both children's' lives. One child is in Michigan and while he is forced to pay support, he doesn't know where he is or how to contact him. The other child lives in a distant town, but the mother won't put Tom on the birth certificate or allow him any contact with the baby. She took out a restraining order to prevent Tom from coming to see her.
Tom has many flaws. He likes to sit around and whine about things rather than do anything proactive. That being said, his situation totally sucks and legal aid ought to accept and help him just as they would help someone get a bankruptcy. But the don't and any lawyers he's talked to want $1K up front. He can't swing that.
So Tom is getting drunk today. I am avoiding him because I don't want to get drunk and he tends to pressure anyone around him to drink too when he's drinking.
TO end, happy Father's day to the good dads out there. Nothing sexier than a good daddy.
to the craptastic dad's out there: Get your shit together, your kids are just waiting for a reason to love you.
1 comment:
I've always hated father's day too.
Post a Comment