Friday, June 4, 2010

Crazy

I love my aunt. I think she's done her best to keep herself above water and managed to make a lot of a life that could have been very different. She's worked at factory and production jobs all her life and has no higher education beyond high school and lately she's taken some vanity classes like pottery.

Sometimes her lack of education worries me. She is very smart, she keeps track of her granddaugheter's blood sugars and insulin schedule almost entirely in her head. But I think she's a bit gullible for anything that seems scientific.

Case in point: This crazy-ass diet she and her husband and her daughter are going to be starting. It involves self injecting one's self with human growth hormone and then restricting one's caloric intake to 500 calories from specific food. Allegedly her husband followed it for two weeks and lost 45 pounds. Now he, she and my cousin are all planning on doing it.

Its crazy. 500 calories a day is starvation dieting. It isn't healthy. human growth hormone is not a magical cure all. Of course they are gonna loose weight, but it wont stay off and it isn't healthy to treat your body like that.

I don't want to follow any crazy diets. I am maintaining the weight loss I got from not eating out. And doing my best to stay away from fats and sugars and unnatural foods (aside from sweetener) and to include lean meats and veggies. Its hard though, sometimes I feel like I NEED something sweet, decadent and chocolaty. I wonder if its an addiction or a habit?

Anyway, I need to be doing more. I want to be stronger and with all this damn free time in the summer I get bug housy. (Its a word because I say its a word) Tomorrow I think I will get up early and go walking around the neighbor hood. I wish I could say "yeah, I'm a runner" but with my build I doubt it will ever happen. But brisk walking for an hour or so can't be all bad for me, and maybe I can work up to a jog at some point.

There are things I want in my life. Sane healthy life styles are high on the list. Zany diets that involve self injection of artificial hormones are not.

No comments: