Sometimes they're great, other times they drive me nuts. I went to my cousin's house last night. He daughter had a birthday party. Nothing says fun like a dozen seven year olds, plus my three, a wading pool, a slip-n-slide, and a big bowel of candy. Cake and icecream to follow.
It was nice. It was damp and muggy (as all kansas evenings are this time of year). The kids played in the water until they were dead on their feet and even the dry clothes I had brought for them were wet, The little guys rode home in just diapers. Isaiah sitting on a plastic bag.
I saw my aunt and her husband. Found out about a family reunion next weekend at grand lake. And I think I solved my movers problem. I think the (as yet unconfirmed) plan is to go to the lake saturday, come back that evening and then spend sunday finishing packing. Then peggy and adam will bring their big truck and trailer around and help pile everything on and take the whole works to pittsburg. It'll be a late night, but I think that it is possible.
I talked to (well texted becuase he doesn't have minutes) mike, he says he will try to come down that weekend and give me a hand. So, it would seem that family is a good thing.
Of course, then there is the other side. (there always is, isn't there). The cousin I went to see, well her dad and her brother showed up. They were either lit, or they are such constant users that they always seem a bit off. Well, this cousin, nick, used to deal dope. He overdosed this winter (I guess that could account for him seeming fried) and had to get out of "the bussiness". (cause the police raided his house and his dad's farm while he was out of it).
Ever since then, he has been convinced that my brother, mike, has been stealing from him. Going so far to twice hunt him down, beat him up, and tak ehis money. I think that this is terrible behavoir. I also mightily disapprove of anyone beating on my baby brother (even if he is 23 and six foot tall). So when nick showed up, I just tried to avoid him. It was a public family thing, and I don't keep track of my brother's enough to know for sure weather or not mike was in a position to steal from nick.
But does the burnout get the message? No, he says in front of everyone there that he beat mike up again. What am I supposed to do in that situation. Was he looking for me to offer to pay him back what ever he thinks mike stole? Cause that aint goign to happen. He's lucky mike has warents out and doesn't want to have anything to do with the police, cause I think nick should be in jail. But then I don't have much sympathy for drug dealers who like to beat people up.
And that brings me around to the whol get to gether next week. I think that it would be nice to get my brothers to go. Since mom died, we have been feeling more and more distanced from the family core. Their is a lot of gossip and drama and intertwined stuff that goes on that it seems like people are expected to keep up with. Who is having marriage and money trouble. Who lost a baby.
So, it would be nice for all of us to come next week. But if nick is going to be after mike, then toms is going to feel like jumping in. And that will be trouble with a capitol T.
Whic begs the question, is all this family stuff good or bad?
3 comments:
We pick our friends.
We pick our enemies.
But family Alley, thats in the stars.
You can't trade in your family for a different one. Good or bad, you're stuck with 'em
-Dino
So dang true. And every time I consider just washing my hands of the whole mess, something changes to make me think twice on the matter.
I guess family is both good and bad? Bad and good, love and stress.
I am so excited about your new move, please let me have your address when you are settled.
Post a Comment