Monday, September 15, 2008

Some days

Just go better than others. And that seems to be the case for classes too. Some just go better. Take my first class of the day. Always a great class. They are attentive and follow along with what we are doing.

then there is the last class of the day. disruptive, uncooperative, disrespectful. Really noisey and I am tired of trying to speak over them. they blatantly ignor me when I try to get things in order. I think I'll give em a killer quiz tomorrow. Mean? Probably. But I am at a point where the little twerps need a wake up call.

I was looking at the hurricane pictures and it struck me that i am so lucky to live where I do. We have our own share of extreme weather. But we don't end up with the hugely wide-spread disaster that the gulf suffers. We have droughts, but not the fires out west. I think we have it pretty good.

So, it may be borring around here. It may be a damn conservative area. But we have hardy people here who take care of themselves and who are awfully resiliant.

Of course, the hurricane asl makes me wonder what I'd need to have on hand if we lost power for a week or more. grill don't have one, generator, probably can't tie one in as a renter. Water, can get. Camp stove maybe. Dehydrated yucko rations, I guess I can get those.

Thinking about it makes me want to go hide out somewhere with a bunch of supplies. Dunno why.

Oh oh oh, got paid today (YES!) and put significant portion into savings account! I know, a few hundred dollars isn't much these days. And banks and investments in general are not all that safe these days. But the way I see it, all this crap with wallstreet is good for us poor folks. We already know poor. And as a group, we've been watching home prices go up up up. Maybe we need a sour market and for the price of a decent home to deflate so that people can actually afford to own property again. Of course, we also need to remember the a house does not need to be a veritible palace to be perfectly liveable and repsectable.

I don't know if its a trend or something the home supply industry cooked up, but since when did a home have to have polished stone ounters, natural hardwoods, and native stine tiles? What happened to paint and carpet? Since when did allpiances have to cost more then my car? Was I that poor as a kid that standard features of a home seem over the top?

Oh well. Probably will always be renting. But I was thinking, the next place will be a house, not an apartment. It will have a front porch to sit on and watch the rain. It will have a back yard with a fence for the kids to play in. Aside from that, I have no preference.

3 comments:

msholiday said...

I think those huge houses are all about corporate greed and selling/brainwashing the masses into thinking we need all this stuff. Prime example are consumer goods and where are they made? Not U.S.A. or Canada. Those jobs went where???? How are we expected to make enough money to afford them when our industries have gone abroad.
I'm with you girl, all we need is a small house with the basic's, a veranda and rear yard. By the way, all this stuff that is destined for the landfill site, DOES NOT bring happiness.

Anonymous said...

I've never been to Kansas Alley, but I hear it's very flat & open.
Do you guys get a lot of tornado warnings & stuff?

-Dino

Anonymous said...

It's so good to read your posts and see how well you are doing!