Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Dysfunction Junction

So, did you ever notice that just when you think things are going really well, the shit absolutly hits the fan?

I thought we had things on a smooth system. The locks were changed. Isaiah, who leaves after I do, and gets home before me, had a house key and was trained to use it. He knew to come straight home from school, he knew to never never never ever let anyone in the house before I get home.

Then today happens.

First, let me set the scene. Yesterday was a beautiful day. It was balmy and warm and sunny. But not too bright, and not too hot. I spent the afternoon in a doctor's office with two sickly, but hyper kiddos. Today, it got cold and rainy, and dark and damp and just depressing.

So, I pick up my little guys from daycare. Its raining, its yucky, I can't wait to get home and put supper on. Then I get home. No Isaiah's bike in the driveway. No Isaiah in the house. House is locked. Dark. No one home.

I look at his friends' house, no Isaiah's bike. I ask the friends' parents. Haven't seen Isaiah. I can't get into thehouse because when the apartment people changed the locks, only one of the keys they left worked and Isaiah ended up with it. And now I an scared because I can't find my son. And its still raining.

By now its after five and getting darker and the little guys are tired of mom stopping the car, getting out for a minute, getting back in and going somewhere elese. SOthey are fussing.

I see that the live in manager of the apartments is home, I knock on his door. No answer. Lights are on. noises inside, but no answer. So, I decide to go to the police station. They have ways of getting into the apartments at least. The school is on the way, as I go past I glance at it. There's Isaiah's bike. I stop, I go in.

He is with the after school daycare kids. By far the oldest in the group. The rest were little kids not trusted to let themselves in the house after school. Apparently, he took off the necklace that the house key was on, set it on his lunch tray, and then threw the whole thing away. At some point later he realized what happened and paniced.

The teachers decided to keep him at school rather then letting him go home. They know where I work. They didn't bother to call. They emailed me. But today was the one day I forgot the damn cell phone and didn't get any calls or emails. So I never got that message.

That still left me unable to get into the house. So I still had to go to the campus police to get let in. Of course, the apartment guy opened his door for the cops, handed the guy a set of master keys and went back inside.

So, can't lock my house again. Don't have any chances of getting the house key back. And I am going to have to pay to have the locks changed again.

As you can probably guess, mama wasn't happy tonight. Supper was hotdogs and rice a roni. And Isaiah was very quiet and very helpful.

Why does this shit always happen to me?
This is one of those days I wonder when life gets easier. It has to get easier. It has to.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Why did'nt someone dig through the cafeteria trash to find that key Alley?
In high school, my best friend acidentally threw out his braces retainer for the second time and was in a panic because he was gonna be in trouble big time.
During my study hall I went down to the cafeteria and searched through the trash.
Found it in about 2 minutes.

If they have'nt dumped that trash into the schools dumpster yet Alley, they might be able to find that key.
Its worth a shot.

-Dino

Alyce said...

I guess that he didn't realize that he had lost the key until a couple hours after lunch. I asked, they wouldn't let me do the dumpster diving even. and They certainly wouldn't.