Okay, so I had this really strange thing happen to me today. I teach, right, we know this? I have a "mailbox" where mail, school junk, little notes and stray textbooks get dropped off. (I don't know how there come to be stray texts, be there are). I generally check the box first thing in the morning and again before leaving the building.
This morning I go check and there are two notes about students who will be out of class for field trips (because drama is so much more important then science), a letter about someone trying to sell a puppy, and an envelope. It's small, like a small card or an invitation. It has a Springfield postmark. It's Orange.
I open it, thinking that it is possible related to being new in the system (I work for Catholic schools, Springfield is the headquarters (or what ever they call it) of the diocey.), or perhaps a belated birthday thing. It has my name on it, spelled wrong. (that's okay, most of the time it's spelled wrong, I've gotten used to it, and it was spelled the way the school system spelled it).
Inside the envelope, a Halloween card, unsigned, and forty dollars. Way cool, right, someone likes me enough to send me forty bucks. They don't sign, that's weird, its nice to say thanks. I don't THINK it would be the diocey, they have hundreds of employees and volunteers, they can't send forty bucks to everyone just because its Halloween. I ask the office lady, Laura, (office ladies at schools are people to befriend they know what is going on at all times.) She doesn't know anything about it. She points out that when things like this go unsigned, the person wants to be secretive.
I say a little generic thanks to God, cause who else could I? And went about my day. I went out and grabbed lunch instead of eating in the caf (chicken quesadillas, yuck). I got to feeling like I had finally come down with a cold at last, the kids have Had colds, and the students have, so it was a matter of time.
I end the day pretty well. On the drive home, dad calls. Mike (remember mike, my brother it twerp who has had self made issues of late?) finally got a job. He needs steel toed shoes though and is broke. Great, crap. Dad wants to know if I can float him a few bucks to get the shoes.
By now, I am miserable, I have crud running down my throat, my ears hurt, my head hurts, I ache and I think I have a fever. But, I gas the car (1.99 in joplin, no joke) and agree to meet up with mike.
Here's the funny part. I got a little cash out of the bank, but didn't plan on using it. But the boots, cost exactly forty dollars.
So, was this a gift for me to help my brother? Was it a fun coincidence? Was it just another case of me being a pushover?
I don't know. I do know that I was the recipient of anonymous generosity. I do know that then I was asked to help out someone who had been testing my patience. I do know I helped him when I would probably have said no.
So, weirdness. unfortunately, I still have the cold.
3 comments:
God looks out for people.
Sometimes indirectly, using the faithful as his instruments.
Whether or not it was a good thing that you bought your brother boots is a moot point; he's family.
We now know you have a secret admirer Alley, & I think I know who it is.
I bet its that married guy you went to school with, the one that lives in your complex & works at the theater in the mall.
It all fits Alley.
He's in nursing school, so all he cares about is anatomy, YOUR anatomy Alley.
I hope you're not encouraging this by dressing like a tart whenever you think you're going to run into him.
But all joking aside, its cool some person exercised charity and threw forty bucks your way, the act of having been perfected in anonymity. So you took that charity and passed it on to your brother, you 'payed it forward.'
Happy Halloween Alley
-Dino
yeah, I don't think so. And leave my clothes out of it. THEY aren't a problem,
This just shows how sweet and good you are Ally. Someone gives you money and right away you spend it on someone else. God Bless you!
Post a Comment