
So, I had this silly inservice thing today. Meaning the students were out of class and all the teachers had to drive to springfield for a day on law and teaching. I met up with two other teachers and rode over with them. It worked out fairly well because we had a pre-coordinated exit plan. the speeker was set to go until four, but that lef tus driving back to joplin an hour and a half, then me anouther forty-fiv eminutes home.
So, one of us left for the bathroom at 2, then 2 10, then 2 15. I only hope I don't get into too much trouble for sneeking off early.
The thing is, the lady teacher I rode with is very negative. Negative about the school we work for, the administration, other teachers, students, everything with this woman is just bad, just not as good as it should be. I like her, I want to be her friend, but I mean everything is bad with her. She doesn't want to do extras like lunch duty around the school, the students aren't as disceplened as they used to be. It jsut goes on and on and on. I get so tired of it, because it infects me. She teaches right across the hall from me, I can't avoid her, but I want to. Not because she's a bad person, but I think that she may be a bad influence.
So, one of us left for the bathroom at 2, then 2 10, then 2 15. I only hope I don't get into too much trouble for sneeking off early.
The thing is, the lady teacher I rode with is very negative. Negative about the school we work for, the administration, other teachers, students, everything with this woman is just bad, just not as good as it should be. I like her, I want to be her friend, but I mean everything is bad with her. She doesn't want to do extras like lunch duty around the school, the students aren't as disceplened as they used to be. It jsut goes on and on and on. I get so tired of it, because it infects me. She teaches right across the hall from me, I can't avoid her, but I want to. Not because she's a bad person, but I think that she may be a bad influence.
Also, I want opinons. Last week the joplin school board passed a rule banning visible tattoos on teachers. I happen to have a tattoo that is a teensey bit visible if peopl look for it. It hasn't ever been a problem with me working around students. They see it, ask once, figure out that I will not let them take over the class about it, and then the issue is dropped.
Anyhow, what do you guys think? Is it offensive? Usually i wear collared shirts and my hair either down or in a low ponytail, so you have to look for it to find it.
5 comments:
well, that tatto isn't offensive. But I know why your school wants/has banned them. Tattoo's have negative connotations to them, it is a cry to be noticed. Everytime I see a kid with piercings, tattoo's and dressing outlandishly, I see someone crying for help, someone who is having problems, someone who needs a helping hand. Not a great image for the school. If you want to be notice, YOU are going about it the right way and don't need a tattoo to get noticed, getting educated is a much better way. Maybe you did when you were younger.
Just my humble thoughts on this. By the way, I went through a phase in my 40's thinking about getting a tattoo. Yes, I was totally mixed up at that time, but didn't realize until resently, now that I can look back at things.
I don't work for joplin R-VIII, I work for a private catholic school in the same city.
the thing that bothers me is that in a time period when we are supposed to be moving past judging people on their appearances, they make this rule, that says absolutly none.
A dragon is it?
From where, pop culture, mythos, or is it your own design?
Certainly not offensive, but rather in an inconvenient spot is'nt it?
I guess you'll just have to keep your hair long & keep it covered up.
Alley, with the Joplin school board passing a rule banning visible tattoos on teachers, does this mean, in theory, that you could'nt get a job with them if you applied?
-Dino
Well, that is serendipity the dragon. It is a character from the first book I read by myself when I was a kid.
Serendipity lived in a cave with the rest of his dragon brothers and siters and cousins and aunts and uncles. The cave was damp and cold so they all wore socks. Most of the dragons were slobs, which drove senedipity nuts. SO he sets out and builds his own perfect house. With perfect rooms and perfect gardens.
But he gets lonely and invites all his dragon friends over to visit. But they ate his roses because he cut their thorns off.
In the end serendipity decides that sometimes the little imperfections are what make things perfect.
I don't know how badly it affects my real employment chances. I will be certified to teach science and maybe math when I am done. I want to teach in small, rural schools. Science teachers are hard to come by and can pretty much pick and choose their positions. so, I don't think it'll be too bad. And I can always just keep my hair down and no one would be wiser.
I think it's a dumb rule and one that's being challenged in courts all over the country. I don't have any tattoos but I don't agree that it's always a cry to be noticed. I live in a larger city and it seems many people are just expressing their artistic personality. Having said that a job's a job, so I'm sure you'll be able to hide it pretty well.
Post a Comment