Tuesday, August 18, 2009

In which I remember what had me so annoyed last year

So, I was all sorts of enthusiastic to get started this year. I knew what I wanted to do with the kids. I knew how I was going to award grades, I knew what I would be covering. I had documents made. I have a website set up. I was looking forward to meeting my students and getting better at the art of teaching.

And I still am, but I remember what had me so stressed. The inturruptions of my day with nonsensical stuff like "ice breakers" which took up first and second hours today. "Newbies day" which will desimate half my classes on friday. "Reverse days" which shortens the hours to the point of uselessness for stuco games and pep rallies, constant inturruptions from the intercom for nonsense, and then there are the other teachers.

There's the art teach who's always talking about her starvation diets and trying to fit into smaller clothes, but she wears this stuff that is too big for her and she's tiny compared to me. there's the business teacher who likes to hold court in her room and ruminate on what's wrong with the school compared to how it used to be. There's the Spanish teacher who's been cut to half time who is making her self both obnoxious and ingratiating at the same time. There's the english teacher who's been putting kids in VPL science classes so they are free for religeon class and for honors english and for theater. Who needs an actual teacher for science when you could be learning about some obscure saint or at yet ANOTHER juco production of shakspear?

But I am resolved to maintain a positive attitude. I cannot change anyone else's actions or feelings, but I can avoid those people who would polute my joy in my job. I have spoken with several of the students who ended up taking virtual classes that I could have offered and told them to PLEASE come to me if they are feeling like they are behind or struggling. I also want the to have a chance to experience a lab or two.

That being said, I'm tired and I'm not sure what all my classes are doing tomorrow.

No comments: