The string of good days that is. Today was actually not that bad if you look at time that was "good" and time that was "bad". The kiddos got up and weren't cranky. Morning classes did what was asked of them and I felt like actual learning was taking place. But then the lunch came.
First there was the kid who wouldn't eat because she didn't have her lunch card and didn't want to take the detention for not having a card. And wouldn't accept any food anyone offered her. But wanted to sit in the lunch room and sob the whole time. Turns out her mom is in the hospital after having had surgery and she's terrified of her dad. The whole thing could have been avoided if the lunch card teacher had been a little lenient with her. Or the kid would have let us try to help her without having to go without lunch.
Then there was my fifth hour that was completely pissed because they had all been schedualed to go on a walking field trip to raffa house. The trip was canceled because of cold and because it was looking like it was going to rain on them. SO the whole class shows up with a collosal chip on their shoulder about having to be in class instead of going on this field trip. So what I am dealing with is coordinated disruption. Which is bad enough.
I finally had had enough and was moving people so that there weren't beside their "Very best friend forever friend". And one of the kids I tell to move is this girl who REFUSES to wear her uniform properly. She has these shirts that are too short and too tight. And she shoves her pants or skirts so far down that they must be level with her privates. Well she stood up and she has the waist of her short rolled (a violation) and shoved down so instead of sitting at her waist it was sitting across the widest part of her hips, and he shirt is up around her waist and there was a lot of skin exposed in an unsightly ring. I said to her, that she needed to fix it, that it was making it look like she had muffin top going on when she shouldn't. And that people tend to think people who can't wear their clothes right look like idiots.
I never told her "hey, you are too fat" nor did I say "hey you and an idiot".
But she drug a kid into the office and complained to the principal anyway. He wasn't anywhere near the conversation. He wasn't involved in the conversation. But the boss let this kid, who had no standing in the conversation be in the room. He wouldn't let ME say what had happened and MADE ME apologise to this snotty kid who NEVER WEARS HER CLOTHING RIGHT. Without even adressing the issue of the uniform. And then told ME that I should have called him to my room when they were out of control like that. And that parents would be calling and complaining.
I think people suck. That's what I think. I think that we have a staff of 15 full time people and only five write up any kids for anything. I think that I didn't go into teaching so I could argue with some holister wearing brat about her uniform. I think I want a damn job with NEA protection and that I'm tired of hearing how much money the school needs to raise when we have kids who are going to europe for christmas, will miss two weeks in february to take a family vacation to florida, will be gone to go to the wineter olympics this year. But we can't raise cash for bio one books that aren't falling apart.
Ugh. I just hate days like this. I hate them hate them. I want to climb into bed. And not come out for a while.
I think I'll polish up my application materials instead. I know public schools have problems too. But I'd rather be helping kids with actual problems and working with administrators that show some leadership that playing fantasy high school here. Because that's how he runs a high school. Like he's the party guy on campus come back to be the principal. Because that's exactly what he is.
No comments:
Post a Comment