Sunday, October 25, 2009

People really are idiots

I have a bloggy friend who is also a single parent. Her daughter recently had a friend who wasn't allowed to go to their house, because the girl would be spending time with kids whose parents were divorced.

Seems a bit extreme to me. Do people really think that kids from single parent, divorced, and otherwise nontraditional families are really all that bad? Is singleness something that rubs off on offpsring and can be caught by the parents?

Or are people just bigoted idiots who need to find new and original ways to exclude others in order to feel superior?

I also was reading a news story about people who take these panic buttons hiking with them, and then use them stupidly. Its called Yuppie 911. Aparently there was a group out in the grandcanyon who used their three times before the rescue team forced them to come back and then issued a citation. Once they used it because they ran out of water, but when the helicopter team came, they'd found some. Then they decided the water they had found tasted funny, so they pushed the button again, only to once again decline an evacuation. The third time was because they were tired.

I am all for the great outdoors. I wish I had the time and money to take my kids camping, hiking, even rafting. But I have the good sense to know that we need to practice and work our way up to scaling mountains. And that no amount of technology can make up for having a good head on ones shoulders.

I am guessing others are less so.

I've gone off the meds. I tried it for a month. They did make me mellower with people, less likely to loose my temper with my kids. But they also made me forgetful, increased, almost doubled, the amount of sleep I needed, and made me feel fuzzy and out of focus most of the time. I would get distracted from simple tasks and have trouble organizing my thoughts for papers or assignments. I'd loose track of things.

I can't have that. So, even if I am a certifiable nutcase. Even if my mother's genetic legacy means that my brain chemistry is atypical, I can't at this time take that drug. I went in because I thought it was related to PMDD, and I am not completely convinced it isn't, but a daily pill that takes away my spark, my fire, and leaves me pleasantly dull? I can't do.

That's probably why schitzophrenics and bipolars all end up on the street.

I am not entirely convinced this is wise, but its what I am choosing to do. Wish me luck.

No comments: