Thursday, August 26, 2010

Down a Notch

The stress level is a little lower now.

Why? Because I went and bought another vehicle. I know, small thing, and big thing. The other one is still away getting fixed, and my be finished as soon as tomorrow. Most likely Monday or Tuesday though.

But this whole ordeal has taught me a few things. One being that I cannot possible plan for everything and that sometimes the shit hits the fan in a spectacular fashion and all I can do is ride it out with as much sanity as I can manage. Two being that my worth and status is not and should not be associated with the tool I use to transport myself from home to work and back again. Its a tool, but that's all it is. Three, that there is no shame in asking for help when you need it. That asking for help in the case of an emergency like this one has been is not the same as being a low life user-looser who won't get off her ass and provide for her self.

I've also been enjoying the fringe benefits of having to walk or bike to work. Mainly the endorphen boost fist thing in the morning that a mile's brisk walk gives is kinda nice, and that exercise is good for me. I was already loosing weight and this has helped. I have clothes that I couldn't get buttoned that now fit nicely and other clothes that used to fit are now sloppy-big. I almost need to go shopping.

But, between buying a car and paying to get another fixed, and renting Isaiah a bad instrument and general bill paying, clothes shopping spree isn't going to happen. I'll have to just pick an item to replace every pay period until things are balanced again.

So . . . I know you'r curious, the car.

I had thought long and hard and just come to the conclusion that I don't want to take on a car payment right now. I know there's a place that will finance me, for a higher than normal rate and probably with a key pad attached to the starter cable, but they'd do it.

I'd rather wait. Wait until I have a pile of evidence of good employment, am caught up with my cell phone bill, and have more money to put down so I'm not financing as much. In other words, income tax season. I get a ridiculous amount of money back from the government for being a low income single parent, might as well put it to use.

The car I bought was an 85 Jeep Wagoneer. Its old, but its in really good shape for a car that age, everything works on it, runs nice, and its kinda cool.

Its a 4x4 and a rugged sort of vehicle so I have visions of taking it up camping somewhere. Mostly though, it will be an around town car. With the KIA being the main mode of transport.

So, what do you guys thing? Silly Alley?

1 comment:

msholiday said...

Well, it's a gas burner, it'll mean double of everything that a car requires, including insurance. Cars are not a good thing to spend money on because they devalue over time. Money needs to be put where it just might grow. Just my thoughts.