Thursday, May 5, 2011

Thoughts on Mother's Day

So on facebook this week the thing to do is to post your profile pic as that of your mom. Which is sweeet and meaningless and right up facebook's alley. I'd do it.

Except that I don't have any digital pictures of my mom and very few physical pictures of her. Part of the cause is that she died and the rest of us fell apart a little. We all scattered and moved around quite a bit. Things get lost. My brother Mike lost several unique pictures of her that he wouldn't ever share. I don't know how many Tom started with, but I know he tends to travel light.

But that's not the main reason we don't have pictures of her. She is. She hated having her picture taken. At the end of her life it was understandable. She was very overweight, she didn't maintain her appearance - her hair was kept very short and in this horrible frizzy perm, and she tended to wear old tee shirts and fabric shorts year round.

But when she was younger, she was cute. She was thin and pretty in a "go to hell" way. Even then she didn't allow many pictures.

I let people take my picture. I untag them if they are ugly and end up on facebook, but I let the picture be taken. I intend to live a very long time, but one day I will be gone, and when I am, I don't want my sons to look at eachother and wish there were more photos of me.

I like being "mom". I'm 29, my oldest is 12 - and handsome and in his growth spurt, his voice is deep and he has the giant hands and feet, my youngest is 4 - so cute, so smart, so much trouble. The middle one is 6- he's sensitive and a little high strung, but never misses anything, and so affectionate.

I'm not a perfect mother. I get irritated with the kids and some days the mess over whelms me. But my children know they are loved, that I have their backs in any situation, and that I will give the world if I can.

No comments: