So today, the students were dissmissed at noon and we (the teachers) had to stay the rest of the day for a speaker. It was a nun who doubles as a motivational speaker in the area of education. She had a two hour speil about teachign kids these days. (and don't get me wrong, she's good).
She pointed out that we live in a narssistic society. That being a service related culture people feel entitled. And that students were more tech savy, but less inquisitive and certainly less able to manage good grammer.
And then the topic was the parents. kids these days are being raised by single parents, in ever changing households. They are being required to help out with younger siblings and the parents are busy. The mothers are the ones in charge.
and I know it was all supposed to be informative and mildly entertaining. But I get so sick and tired of feeling like I am the poster girl of what conservatives think is wrong with the world. I am a single mom. I am educated and work outside the home. I had a child as teen out of wedlock and have spent a few years on and off welfare and food stamps. I am busy and exhausted when I get home, and I can't dedicate a day a month to shadow my son in school.
But I really don't think I am what is wrong with the kids these days. And I am so tired of hearing that I am.
5 comments:
This is the very reason Religions need to be kept out of schools, governments and everywhere else. They are archaic and judgemental.
I think that religon is one of the evils of mankind, just look at religious history. I say live and let live but religion doesn't let anyone do that. It inflicts what they think is right on everyone. Now aday's it is a money making racket and an industry. Especially the Catholics. Telling the masses of people that they aren't to use birth control is lunacy, babies born to starve to death. The Pope should be charged with murder.
I could go on for pages and pages.
I'm an Atheist and out of the closet.
I'm sorry that you are made to have these feelings. You should be held up as a role model.
Just my humble thoughts on this.
Linda
No Alley, you're not the poster child for whats wrong with the disintegration & decay of the traditional family unit.
*Its the fault of the men*
Yes, thats right, the state of the American family would not be what it is today if the men did'nt bail out at the drop of a hat.
I find it interesting that so many "tough guys" who would never back down in a fight so quickly turn tail and run when a baby shows up.
Who would imagine that something so harmless and dependent as an infant can make even the so-called toughest guy cower & hide?
The only thing you're guilty of is having bad taste in men Alley, and you're only 50% guilty because so many men are such smooth talkers.
They put on a great show at first don't they?
I myself am single, I have no children, & I am the last of 7 children. I have 4 sisters, 3 of which hitched their stars to losers. I helped raise the children of these men because they ran. I changed diapers, I've been vomited on, pissed on, shit on by my nieces & nephews when they were infants because their fathers were'nt even man enough to change their diaper.
Stop beating yourself up over this. Instill in your sons respect for women and family and help defeat the selfishness and narcissism that seems to have taken hold over our society.
Please forgive my rant, family is of utmost importance to me.
Keep on keeping on kid-o.
-Dino
You are HARDLY what's wrong with kids these days. What's wrong with kids these days is that they're not raised to value kindness, empathy, and ethics. That happens in wealthy households as much as (maybe more than) households with less.
I don't think that faith is evil, but I will agree that organized religeous authorities have done a lot of damage.
If its all men's fault, how the hell do I raise three honorable men, when half the time I don't think there is such a thing?
I know. I think that the big problem with our society is that we think we are the most important ones in the world, and that "It's not my problem"
In answer to your question:
" ... how the hell do I raise three honorable men, when half the time I don't think there is such a thing?"
The most important thing God has given us is free will.
No matter how well you raise them, no matter what values you instill in them, when your boys come of age they must exercise their own judgement.
There is no certainty that they will be family men, indeed they may folow in their fathers footsteps.
All you can do is lead by example, which is what you're doing.
Hope for the best, keep them close, its all you can do.
But most of all, stop blaming yourself for this.
There really are good men in the world....unfortunately many of them are gay & unsuitable as role models.
Keep on keeping on Alley.
-Dino
Post a Comment