Its like that movie, saved, if we were meant to all be the same, why were we created different. If we were meant to all follow the same path, why are we all gifted with different strengths and weaknesses.
Then I see things like this http://www.truewoman.com/?id=1017. Its a link posted by a woman that attends the church over in Joplin I was going to for a while. This is the church that seemed so nice, until the pastor more or less told me that since I had sinned even though god loved me, I would have to face earthly consequences which essentially meant being on my own, because what upstanding christian male would take on a fallen woman like me when there are so many young, pretty, virginal appearing women who while they may have also sinned, didn't have three little kids. (well, not those exact words, but you get the gist). That and the woman who posted this link announcing she didn't want her children in public school because she didn't want them associating with the "riffraff" of society is the reason I stopped attending.
And are probably the reasons I haven't attended another church since then. Because church people will be nice to me. They will pray with me and for me, but ultimately the facts of my existence are so intolerable to their sensibilities that I will never be welcomed into the fold. I will be tolerated on the fringes "for the sake of those poor fatherless boys" and that's about it.
Anyway, this link is to a manifesto of an organization promoting true christian womanhood. And one of the prominent lines is about submitting to male leadership at home, other things include acknowledgment of women's roles as nurturers and child bearers. And something thrown in about modesty.
I guess I will never be a true christian woman. I am all for personal modesty, but I will never impose my sense of modesty on another person. I am all for raising children, but there are women out there who aren't and they should have that right. I think it goes without saying that I will never ever submit myself to another person's authority.
I have said before and will probably say again. I am my own and no one else's.
No comments:
Post a Comment