Did you know if you type the words "mother's boyfriend" into google, you will get page after page of stories about children murdered by the men in their mother's lives? Sometimes its pretty apparent that the mom participated or that it was on-going and she stood by and allowed it. Other times it appears that she was off at work while he stayed home and babysat a child that wasn't his. Which seems to indicate that he was too much a looser to get a job of his own.
The kids are usually infants, three and under, although some are as old as 11 or 12. The story goes that mom comes home and finds the baby unresponsive. In one case the boyfriend brought the baby to mom at work not breathing. The baby is rushed to the hospital where it is eventually declared dead of traumatic brain injury.
These stories disturb me, but I see the headline and have to read. I feel like there's something I am supposed to do for these children who cannot speak for themselves. For their mothers so lost and alone and troubled that they end up with these men.
But what, what can I do? I who work all day and come home so tired? I who sometimes am overwhelmed by my own children? I who also am alone and lost at times and long for a partner?
What can I possibly do for these lost children?
Would it be too morbid to start another blog that just bears witness too it all? Simple screen captures of the stories as I find them?
What else can I do? And ideas?
3 comments:
Be very careful you don't subject your boys to dubious types of men. Your boys are watching what you do and who you pick as friends.
Be very careful you don't subject your boys to dubious types of men. Your boys are watching what you do and who you pick as friends.
I know this very well. That isn't the point. I think I may never pair off because nothing really compares the the feelings of love I have for my kids.
But I still feel like I need to be DOING something for those children and their mothers. I just don't know what.
Post a Comment