We were attacked because they didn't like us. Didn't like that we educate every one, didn't like that we had freedom to worship as we pleased, didn't like that the people here are allowed to do pretty much as they please as long as they aren't directly hurting someone else.
So, how has the country change?
Now if you really want to win an election, you can question someone's patriotism or dedication to maintaining our safety. Now if you want to fly somewhere you have to be willing to be virtually strip-searched and give up your right to privacy as far as you belongings go.
We are less free than we were. We have been at war for almost nine years and all we have to show for it is one country in ruins with no working government, another country on the verge of total anarchy, and animosity and unrest in most of the middle east, all aimed at us and our allies.
What did I do to mark the occasion? Nothing. I lived my life. I took Noah to the ER because he's got a nasty draining wound on his leg that yesterday looked like a bug bite or a zit. I went to walmart to fill his script and buy some groceries. I played with my kids, napped with Noah, made dinner, cleaned up, folded laundry.
I enjoyed life as a free citizen in a land ruled by laws. And as such a citizen, I'd like to point out that there is a VAST difference between what those misguided idiots did, and the rest of islam. The same laws that allow me to live a free life to make my own mistakes should also protect people who want to raise money and build a house of worship in a particular neighborhood. The same law that says I can marry a man should let two men or two women who love each other marry. The same law that says its wrong to torture a confession out of a murder suspect in South East Kansas should say its wrong to torture information out of a "terrorist" or "enemy combatant". Because I'm gonna say this once, and I hope someone remembers it, a person who killed someone caused terror to lots of people and can be called a terrorist. So can someone who broke into a house, or might have broken into a house, or threatened to break into a house, or maybe just made you feel funny.
Torture is wrong and no where in our constitution does it say that the law of the land applies only to people born and raised here. Its the law OF THE LAND. We should carry it with us, like a light into a dark place, not send people away in order to skirt its application.
I was thinking about today and what has happened in the past nine years. It occurred to me that I am glad my mother didn't live to see all the crap we've done since then. She would have been disappointed in a lot of it. I know I am.
5 comments:
I enjoy reading your blog on the rare occasions that I have time to. Much like the Homer Simpson character makes me feel like a good dad, yours often make me feel -- for want of a better term -- less sorry for myself. You typically are doing a whole lot more with a whole lot less than I am and yes that is a good thing & occasionally people like you still inspire me. I'm a military veteran (still in reserves) & saw combat in Iraq. How odd that physicians have to do that, but US history is replete with such although I was a very pale version of Joel T. Boone. Anyway the issue with me & the ground zero mosque is a little different than personal freedom -- and I think the reason for building it there is a little more sinister than most folks imagine. Follow this link
http://www.hudson-ny.org/1496/mosques-on-sacred-sites-of-defeated-enemies
I've been to the middle east & seen the dome of the rock. They really do this stuff. In any regard, my best regards from West Virginia
Its always a possibility that its more than appears on the surface, but the same is true of anything. I guess I'd rather live in a country where we waited for the sinister types to show their hands than in a country where we proactively squashed anthing that might be sinister.
And you humble me, I'm sure you're awesome, thanks for reading. I almost went to med school and didn't because I was tired of college . . . still in grad school. Just saying.
Oh and now that I know a doc sometimes reads, I'm going to post pictures of weird symptoms. Although I think Noah had a staph infection in a spider bite, antibiotics are wonderful things.
bb61md, I approved your other post, then realized it had identifying info in it and unapproved it because I wasn't sure if you wanted it up.
Post a Comment