Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Idiotic facebook chain post of the week

Kentucky just passed the best law ever. To be on foodstamps, medicade, or cash assistance on your children or yourself, you have to pass a DRUG test. Now every other state should do the same. If you agree re-post. When we have to work and take a drug test. So should they!

This shows up on my feed from time to time. And I never repost. Not because I think people have a right to be supported by our tax payers and sit around and do drugs. But because I think that reposting helps propogate this idea the American public has that all welfare recipients are lazy assholes who use drugs and don't want to work for a living.

I've been a welfare mother. It sucks having to gather up income, bills, and housing cost evidence every few months. To have to use that little card that everyone knows is a foodstamps or welfare cash card. To be faced with periodic headaches such as a car repair bill, clothes for the kids, new shoes, a doctor's appointment and not be able to pay for them. It isn't fun.

It isn't fun to not be able to provide for fun experiences for your kids and to be unsure about how you are going to pay for everything that you need to.

I was on welfare and now I am not. I can't possibly be so special as for that to be a rare thing. So why do we as a public body feel that welfare recipients are so untrustworthy that they must not only gather proof of income, citizenship, residency, and bills every six months, and report regularly to a social worker, they must also pass drug screenings.

Being poor does not make a person subhuman.

Oh, and I attempted to have a calm conversation with my brother about his plans to marry, move out, get a job, stop being my sitter, and continue using my car.

It didn't go well. I put Noah in daycare starting today thinking that Tom could get started on his job search. I let him know that I am happy he's planning to go be happy, I can't just give him my car to use and continue to pay for his phone.

He didn't even offer to buy the car. In fact declared it a piece of crap he wouldn't buy. He also didn't offer to pay his share of the phone bill.

He accused me of being spiteful and vindictive and sabotaging him.

He moved things he considered his out today while I was at work. Including some frozen meat he'd put in the freezer saying that was his contribution to the house a few weeks ago.

I guess that lets me know how he really feels. I shouldn't be surprised. He always shoves his head as far up what ever girl is being nice to him's ass when he's into a girl. Why treat your sister with basic decency when you have a girl friend?

No comments: