The grandson is right about noah's age. And he's a pain. He plays too rough and then whines when he gets head bumped, and he tends to ring my doorbell over and over and then run in the house and upstairs when I open the door. We have a trampoline so he's always wanting to come over.
Then there are the adults. They like Isaiah, and who wouldn't, he's polite, well spoken and tends to dish on everyone he knows secrets. He enjoys playing video games with the older kids, who are good kids, and they tend to like him.
But his mother doesn't like the fact that her oldest seems to want to be not at home all day long, and the kid she gets in return is kind of a twerp-face.
So I was thinking that the TV we watch might say things about us. Or not. Maybe there isn't meaning in the crap we watch.
But I was thinking about it the other day so I must write it out. I don't have cable so I tend to pick things up on Hulu or netflix.
my favorite show is one called firefly, it was canceled after only part of one season, but it was really cool and they made a movie of it too. Its like the wild west in space. The main characters are on a ship that mostly smuggles and does minor crimey things. They are all on the run from the main government and mostly poor and just scraping by.
Another one I liked that was cancelled too early was called Dresden Files, its about a modern day Wizard who fights crime while staying out of the way of the police. Once again, fantastical element and main character who seems to be working for good, while just getting by in a system that is working against him.
Non-science fiction shows I liked are things like In Plain Sight and Saving Grace, although Grace has the help of an angel who tells her what to do. The main character of In Plain Sight is good at her job, abrasive with others, and has a dysfunctional family - She reminds me of me. Grace is a good cop, with lots of good friends, who seems to drink and party her way in and out of trouble - aside from the fact that she hates people who hurt innocents she's nothing like me. But maybe she's a little like how I wish I was.
Then there's burn notice, who wouldn't like hot spies in Miami?
Haven - supernatural shenanigans in Main.
Raising hope - Its a sitcom about a PWT family raising the daughter the son had with a murderer. My favorite line so far "virgina, she's so badass" the husband says about his wife. I want a guy to think I'm badass . . .
the big Bang Theory - swear to god, I think like those guys.
Detroit 187 (or something like that) - I dunno why, I just like it.
Lie to me - guy uses science to tell when people are lying by looking at their faces.
A lot of the things that appeal to me have characters who say what they want to people who are assholes.
I used to enjoy medical drama shows, but the more I know about what it looks like when someone is dead or dying and what injuries really look like, the less those appeal.
I watch some reality shows, Intervention, and Hoarders. On some days I like Bridzillas, I have no idea why except its fluffy mindless fun.
Do the things we watch mean anything? Or is the meaning in the fact that we waste our time watching fiction instead of affecting reality?
Or maybe I just think too much.
No comments:
Post a Comment