Tuesday, April 8, 2008

achy breacky feet

Long day at work. I know that really no day is any longer then any other day, but today felt long. On eof my students is just absolutly refusing to do anything. He will sit, and let me nag, beg bargan and threat, and still not make one move to even pick up his pencil. The special ed teacher suggested I do something for him (fill in the little bubbles so his math could be graded). I feel like the purpose of having a special ed progrma and a para is not so that the para will do thigns for the student that the student can do for themselves.

My other student I think is getting sick. His blood sugars have been out of wack and he has been a bit pouty of late. He is mostly non-verbal, can't say "hey, my throat hurts". But he has been wantign to lay his head down and acting tired and getting hurt feelings when I get on to him, when usually he just laughs. (I have to get on to him becuase he will just take off. I think this is a trait common in downs kids. Its like they speed walk every where, but when your para has foot issues and you have almost zero hearing, it isn't safe, so a big part of what we work on is stayign with the teacher or adult).

Anyway. Between the two of them, I feel like I am hitting my head on a brick wall somedays. Then there is the ever looming paper work and the speech therapy I don't have a clue how to do.

And then there is the fact that the daycare teachers have concerns about Gideon. Some one is coming from greenbush to do a complete evaluation thursday. He apparently, doesn't know a lot of things that kids his age are supposed to know. I think he is clever and alert and stubborn. I am afraid that they are going to tell me that he has something wrong with him that is goign to keep him from learning and relating and doing much more then just getting to be a very big kid. Maybe I am making too much of this.

anyhow, just realised that I misspelled the title to the dang post and I don't even care enough to fix it. I think a hot bath is in order.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I hope everything will be okay with Gideon. It sounds like you have a lot on your plate.

msholiday said...

Whatever it is I am sure it can be fixed. Best if it is anything to catch it early. I once fostered a girl, who at 5 could not speak, she had her own language. In a little over a year she was talking, not up to her age level but a whole lot better. Don't worry he will be fine.