Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Long days and pleasant nights

(Its a book reference, lets see whose a bigger nerd then I am).

It has been an intersting weekend. Three days, went by very fast. Monday, I decided to take the kids to parsons, Went a NEW AND DIFFERENT walmart. And checked on mom's grave. I know she isn't really there, but somehow, I feel the need to check on the place.

Anyway, I forgot my cell phone. It was in the bathroom charging and I just went of and left it there. (I know, I know, lotta good a cell phone does a person sitting in thebathroom charging). When we got back, it was after noon. The little boys were tired and I had to pee. I don't know why, but I hate peeing anywhere but at home, so I was really desperate. As I am sitting there, peeing, the cell rings. As I answer, I notice that there are 12 missed calls. (12! wtf I think).

Its my dad. He's being all casual, Teasing me about not being home because the night before I had said that I wanted to stay close to home that day. Then he says, "Let me talk to Isaiah" I hand the phone off and start putting up groceries or something, and then IN WALKS DAD. INTO THE SAME ROOM AS ME!

I have never been speechless. I was speechless. I jsut sort of froze. Then I hugged. It was aperfectly executed surprise.

Dad and his wife had come to get her daughter, EMily. Emily has been living with my foolish, selfish sister in law and things have been gettign steadily worse. Sherry has several looser guys she dates. She has strange men in and out of the apartment. She and emily had an agreement about bills, but now sherry hasn't been paying her part and they were in the process of beign evicted. She is also a user. She gets people to watch lexi and then doesn't pay them. She promises people thigns and then doesn't come through. She and emily were fighting and she would "trow emily out" and then a few days later be all sweet and nice. Its a bad scene.'

So, they visited me monday. It was SO FREAKING COOL TO HAVE GRANDPARENTS AROUND FOR THE KIDS. And the today went to get emily and a friend of hers who has a sad story (I"m not sure what it is, but the agreed to take this girl back to tennessee with them so it has to be good).

Aparently, Emily, having spent time with liars, manipulaters and theives, has picked up a few things. TO get "revenge" on sherry for how mean she had been, Emily took and X-box and maybe a few other things. Seh sold the x-box for cash. Sherry came home and went ballistic.

Text messages and calls from multiple phones all evening. As the drama went on, the truth about what had happened came out and also that sherry had called the police. She also called my house, so she knew where emily was. They all ended up bugging out of there. It was a bit upsetting. Because I was really likeing have relatives around, and then within ten minutes, they were packed and gone.

So, now we are a little shell shocked and sad and missing people we didn't know we missed.

But, for all their faults (which are many) it was nice having other adults around my kids. They weren't making me feel like I had to watch what I said and did and how they were dressed and what they played with. I could just relax and show off my kids. Dad doesn't think Gideon is a terror. He thinks and add kid like TOm was. But still and sweet boy. With the people from church, its like they want him to be still and quiet and perfect and he is always in trouble.

Anyhow, I definitly think that we will be visiting tennessee this summer. I am less against moving there. I guess they are within 20 miles of knoxville, which I guess is a big place, lots of jobs, apartments, and daycares, and schools. I don't know. I still just don't know. I think I am still standing in that room, gasping at my dad, standing there, where he shouldn't be.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad that happened. You needed that. And if you go to your family now, you do so on your terms, as an independent woman. But it sometimes just takes a little distance to remember what family can mean.