Tuesday, January 10, 2012

The Hardest Thing is to DO NOTHING

I mean it, its hard to for me to not do anything. I can procrastinate by doing things OTHER than what I need to take care of. But to DO NOTHING. That's hard.

So, What is it I'm getting on about?

Money. I like Money. Specifically, I like spending money. Its fun. You give people money and you get pretty new clothes, shiney new toys, tastey food you didn't have to cook. All kinds of stuff.

But after 30 years on the planet. And 14 of those as an employed, tax filing, person. I have come to realize that the vast majority of the stuff I've purchased has been worthless. I mean it, yes I wear clothes, but a lot of the clothes I own and have owned, I haven't worn much. I like music and electronics and eating out and seeing shows, but on a whole, those things haven't enriched my life to the same extent that they've empoverished it.

So, after a few months of carefully tracking where my money goes, I have decided that instead of blowing my tax refund check on a wish list (treadmil, new computer, dog enclosure) I'm going to do nothing with it.

But this will be a strategic nothing. See, my checking account is one of those interst bearing ones. It pays 3% a month. On balances up to $10,000.

So, here's the plan. I let the five grand I get sit. I don't do anything with it. It earns $150 dollars a month. That $150 I transfer into my savings account (where its safe from a spending spree), in addition to that, I also intend to save my child support.

Fact is, when I budget for rent, utilities, car payment, gas, food, daycare, phones, credit cards, internet, I still have over $1,000 unaccounted for. I've blown an embarassing amount of money on eating out, junk food, smultzy crap and assorted worthlessness.

So, instead of blowing the money and getting that jolt of gratification that I get when I buy stuff, I'm going to save my money, let it accrue the maximum amount of interest. And after a year, maybe two, I'll have enough for a reasonable down payment on a house.

I'll also have put enough time in that a lot of the negatives on my credit will have fallen off. (Yep, if it falls off my credit in less than a year, I ain't payin)

I want a house. I want a house. I want a house.

I am tired of renting craptastic junk houses that are uncomfortable, dirty, drafty. They are all the same. I'm not eager to move into another one. So I am staying put, saving money and biding my time.

And one of these days I'll be able to buy a home.

No comments: