Monday, January 16, 2012

Worth keeping

Sex is more than just something pleasurable that two people share and waiting isn't (at least for me) about the guy. I am not attracted to many men, and I tend not to go out with men who don't attract or interest me.

I wait because I value my reputation. I value my body. You like to pretend that sex happens in a vacuum but it doesn't. People carry diseases. People use others. Birth control fails. Sex is biological and messy. Hormones women get as a direct result of heterosexual activity affect the woman's brain in such a way that she perceives attachment.

I do not want to become attached to someone who is not equally attached to me. I've had it happen and it hurts. I do not want herpes or HIV or any of dozens of germs that can maim or leave me unsafe for future partners and dependant on drug therapy to suppress outbreaks.

Knowing someone takes time. Stating boundaries takes maturity. Respecting the boundaries of someone you claim to care for takes honor. If the man I'm interested cant show patience, honor, and maturity he isn't worth risking disease, heart break, and pregnancy.

This is not a "victim" mentality. This is me valuing myself. I'd rather be alone than be with an impatient, immature, dishonorable man.

No comments: