Sunday, February 24, 2008

My brother

It still astounds me, how crazy he can be. I love him. He would walk through fire for someone who he considered a friend. But then he can be so weird.



Gideon was at the emergency room last night, a painfull ear infection was not going to wait for monday. SO I had to find a way over to independence because the walgreens there is the only pharmacy open on sunday with in a reasonable (or unreasonable) driving distance. Since everyone elseI know was at church, I called my brother Tom for a ride. '



On teh way over he filled me in on how 9/11 was a fake. Those weren't passenger plain, but 757 mid-air refueling plains. Skyscrapers don't fall because of fire and the fire fighter who got out said it sounded like a controled demolition blast. And the plain that came down in pennsylvania was in for repairs that day, Nothing ever hit the pentagon.



I KNOW this is all bunk, but he is so sure. He hates organized religon, but claims to be saved. He says the out other brother, mike, is living clean and sober, but he (mike) is still living with our drug-dealing cousin.

He claims to want to get a job and be stable fro his girlfriend who happens to be pregnant and due in a month, but he has a list of things he wont do that is a mile long. He says he wont work for "the man". But he has this weird arrangment with his friend that to me sounds a lot like indentured servitude.

This friend begged and begged him to come back from tennessee. But now Tom owes the guy the money it took to get back. So he is "working it off" He drives the guy around (no DL) he does service calls for the guy's appliance repair bussiness. He works in the shop. If this guy says he wants TOm to do something for him, Tom has to drop what he had planned and go do it.

Tom claims that he likes it "clancy makes sure I don't have any bills to worry about" The guy also buys Tom cigarrets and lets Tom eat with him. But TOm has no cash to give to his grilfriend or to save to get an apartment for thw two of them. He has a trucking school tryign to recruit him, but he doesn't want to be away from the baby. He has the weed spray bussiness wanting to hire him back, but he has to study all the pest control books again. It goes on, McDonad's is evil, so is walmart. This place is mean to its employees, that place doesn't pay well enough.

His Girlfriend, Lisa C. says she loves him to death, but she is so tired of having to be the only responsible one in the relationship. Its like Tom is stuck at 17. He has a baby coming and his other son is living with a grandparent and no one has seen or heard from him in about three years. But none of that is really enough to motivate him.

Its like he has part of his social skills missing. I'll give you an example, his birthday was this weekend and he jokingly says that he will drive us to the pharmacy in exchange for me buying him lunch for a birthday present. He then picks the most expensive resturant open on a sunday, and mexican place. I warn him that I'd rather not spend more the $25. He then orders the most expensive item on the menu (beef fajitas with extra meat and shells). The bill was thrity dollars. And then he took ten from me for gas!

I love my brother, but that was one expensive trip to the pharmacy, and the bad part is that he totally doesn't see how outrageous the whole thing was.

I guess I'm just going to have to be more assertive, nice lunch or gas money, I can't swing both.

2 comments:

msholiday said...

You are right there is something wrong with his thinking. He should see a doctor.
Just my thoughts.

Alyce said...

I've tried. I think that the most I can do is to convience him to stop talking before he makes things worse for himself.

And to try not to have much cash on me when he's around.