Friday, February 20, 2009

A nice evening

So today was pretty much a waste of time. Its basketball homecoming tonight. All day the seniors, the cheer leaders, the dance team and anyone who wanted to be was out of class. The sophomores were out of class all morning and the freshmen were out of class all afternoon. It boiled down to a class of about thirty being reduced to ten. A class of fifteen to two. Seventh hour was completely cancelled. IT was taken up by a pep assembly. 

So, I didn't even try to do any real teaching. What would be the point? The kids who weren't invited would feel even more punished and the kids who were out for a school activity would feel like they didn't have to make it up. 

So we played skipbo, monopoly, and watched CNN. In the afternoon we did some cleaning on the tops of lockers and door frames, which the janitorial staff seemed to have forgotten for the past decade. 

And then I came home after school let out. I toyed with the idea of taking the kids to the homecoming event and game, but we ended up picking Mike up to help him run some errands and then he invited us over to his new place to show off and so the kids could play. Its not huge, it looks big from the outside, its two stories, with three bedrooms and a bathroom upstairs and then a living, dinning, kitchen and tiny bathroom down stairs. Its still a lot of people living in a smallish house, but its a lot better then what they had, and mike and nancy both seem to be hapier and more comfortable with it. 

They are also unemployed at the moment and living on unemployment benefits and their federal and state tax refunds. I don't know if they can maintain it. The rent isn't that much higher, but I have a feeling the utilities will absolutley rape them. It is heated with wall heaters and colled with window units. Neither look new and I suspect that they are less then efficient. 

Teh kids played in the yard and then we came home when it got chilly and dark. Now Gideon is being a major crank butt and will probably go to bed early. 

No comments: