Thursday, February 26, 2009

Well, that was interesting.

So, today was a treat and a half. 

the students all got together on facebook and decided to boycott lunch. They were only told what was already a rule. That if they wanted to eat they had to buy a tray, no al la carte, that all seconds would be paid for, and that if they ordered a tray and didn't pay for it, then they would be charged for it anyway. 

Well, these kids have such a sense of entitelemnt that they think they shouldn't have to follow rules about who pays and paying fair. Part of the problem is that they do not have any concept of what things cost. They are used to rules being bent, broken and ignored. 

So, they got pissed about being asked to be responsible about ordering a lunch. The idea is, of course, to know how many lunches to make and make just enough, so that there isn't a lot leftover to try to sell as leftovers or store for another day. 

This morning during roll in all the homerooms, no one ordered a meal. NO ONE but the TEACHERS. They were all quite satisfied with themselves. 

The boss man called an assembly and told them they were all being selfish and silly and that they were ungrateful and foolish for thinking that they should have to be accountable for payign for what they had ordered. The lunch person had probably heard about the boycott (her child is a senior at the school) and "called in super sick". The middle school ordered pizza, and we didn't even break out the lunch tables. The kids ate sitting on the floor. 

Unfortunately, the kids think they've prooved a point or won a battle of wills. Really all they did was disrupt things a little bit, and pat themselves on the back a lot. 

In talking to them, they claim that it isn't about paying for what they order, and only ordering what they will pay for. They claim its about how the boss man talks to them. He's over the intercom all the time. He shoots down anythign they suggest or want. Even student government gets told what to do by him. 

I'm not certain how much voracity their claims have, but it seems to have been a way to express their disapproval and hatred towards the principal. 

I think that they showed an extrodinary amount of cooperatioin and planning and I wish they could pu that much creativity and cooperation and planning into their school work. I wish I didn't work in such a rotten institution. 

2 comments:

MindyMom said...

Yeah, but we were kids once too. Isn't rebellion part of it?

Great pic btw. Maybe nerdy-cute with the pony and glasses, but let that hair down and instant goddess...

Alyce said...

I don't know about goddess, but I think they are an improvement over what I had.

I am all for rebellion, but I wish they would be this dedicated to studying for tests. I had one (who i think was a ringleader) score a 3/25 on an exam today.