Sunday, October 24, 2010

Family Drama

And this time its not my fault . . . well, mostly.

Backstory: My dad and his brothers were not born to the woman who he calls "mom". My dad's biological mother and father divorced and his dad took the kids and remarried a woman named Rita Mae. Rita and my Grandfather had two more children and the whole lot were raised at siblings. My father's biological mother was not allowed to have contact with the kids.

Fast forward a bit: My mom and dad were not a picture perfect couple. They were both so crazy they diserved each other. Mom had something called boarderline personality disorder. It basically means that she was pathologically driven to manipulate and stir up the emotions of those around her. She did something that royally pissed off my dad's step mother, Rita Mae.

When mom and dad divorced, dad moved back to Michigan. (Because sticking close to his kids and making sure his ex wife didn't marry an insane pedofile apparently didn't occur to him). While he was in Michigan, he married a woman I met once, she's beside the point except for one tiny thing. HIS FAMILY LOVED HER.

Fast forward a few more years.

Mom gets diagnosed with cervical cancer. She panics, thinks she's going to die and calls dad up and tells him "If I die and these kids are all alone, I'm going to spend the rest of your life haunting you". He must have believed it because he showed up late teh next day with a car full of clothes and nothing else .

and

HIS PARENTS CUT HIM OFF FOR LEAVING HIS WIFE AND COMING TO BE WITH HIS KIDS.

Fast forward some more: I am now 20. My mom has died, dad's family invites us up to Michigan for a visit. It is the first time I have seen or been seen by them since I was 3.


Now:

Dad sees his parents fairly regularly. We are all "facebook friends" and supposedly everything is forgiven. (aside from the fact that I grew up with out a call a birthday card or any sort of aknowledgement from those people - and had to deal with crazy drug and alcohol using parents besides).

Dad's biological mom got super sick, I don't know what with, she was in her late seventies. She called her sons, wanting to see them before she passed. My "cousin", the oldest aside from myself and my brothers, posted. "its so weird I don't even know her and she wants to see me, Why?"

I'm sorry, the girl is completely clueless. She's got to be dumb as a box of rocks and is twice as ugly. (well not really, but reactionary conservatives tend to annoy me anyway).

How can a whole extended family that does things like take coordinated group pictures together go that long without even sending a birthday card and then not be able to at least empathize with that part of the family later?

I don't get it.

Anyway, my dad's mom died last night. And he trotted off to work like nothing happened.

I know I go on and on about how crazy my mom was . . . but I think the other half of my genes are just as crazy.

No comments: