Saturday, November 29, 2008

My Son is Trying to Drive Me Insane

I know, I rile and rale against the commercialism that has run rampant in what should be a holy holiday. 

That being said, I REALLY want to get the gifts I buy right. I don't buy for anyone but my kids. Brothers, Dad, Step family, Aunts, Uncles, Cousins, I only buy presents for the kids. 

So, Isaiah has a long list of things he wants. He wants a robo dino that he saw on TV, apparently it has artificial intelligence and can be set to guard something. He wants a music player, he wants a game system, he wants his own TV and he wants lots of movies (anything made by marvel and then a whole lot more). 

I want him to be creative and intelligent and intuitive, but I don't think buying him "weird" presents is the way to go about instiling that. These days he has grown such a mouth. He is constantly  correcting and getting onto everyone around him. Even his friends. I don't like it. 

Anyway, first he thought he wanted an Ipod, so I ordered an Ipod, (it came in the mail, tiny, but cool looking and yes I opened the damn thing, thinking that it would be nice it it were up and running and loaded with stuff he woudl like on christmas), Then he said he wanted a dual screen or a psp (or ps2), so I looked into those. 

He already has a gamecube and I pretty much refuse to buy what we basically already own, so that rules out a ps2, and a wii has gotten too expesive to consider, we would have to buy a new TV to go with it and I refuse to buy a flatscreen until I can get one of a decent screen size fro less then three hundred dollars. 

So I am fairly certain it is going to be a psp, I can get a system with a game I think he would like and a memory stick for about $200 on amazon. Sounds like a lot, and it is, but really, five dollar cars a such just don't do it for him, and I would rather spend some money and get something he likes and will  use, then to be cheap and have what I did buy him end up tossed into a corner of his room and ignored. 

SO, what to do with the Ipod? I don't need it, I can use my phone fro music (which I do, keep thinking I ought to post my playlists and then never do) and videos (which I don't, no need). Mike offered to buy it off me, for $100, That is a $30 loss, but it beats a $130 loss in a product I have no use for sitting around the house. And he would have to come here to load it and probably buy an outlet charger for the thing, I doubt there is a computer where he crashes. So I figure it is a piece of decent barganing. And I told him I would let him have it when he paid me for it. 

So according to the hype, the new generation psps can play games, store data for the games, photos, music, they can store movie files and a person can jsut buy special movie disks for the system. It can be played while it charges and the charge is supposed to have a decent half life. 

Sounds like something he would enjoy, but when I talk to him about what he wants, he is very defencive and negative about getting something like that. I really feel like the sweet boy I know is slipping away somehow. I don't know if it is his age, or the ADD, or the fact that his parents haven't given him the sort of life that little boys should have (two parents, a mom who likes to clean and cook, a dad who doesn't lie and a big house with a big yard and a floppy-eared dog), or what it is, but he is just either trying to argue every single thing, what he eats, what he wears, how he talks to people, he wants everything done FOR HIM NOW and will hound a bitch and bicker and produce tears and sobs if he feels like he isn't getting what he thinks he diserves. 

I don't know what to do with him. He won't participate in anything they've offered at school. He doesn't want to be on a swim team or a basketball team at the Y. I have tried church, but the ones here in town are either so super conservative that I don't feel comfortable going (being a single mom who is just fine with staying that way a while), or are so loose that the kids are basically allowed to goof the whole time, what's the point if they aren't ever required to behav at though they were at church. Add to that the fact that my schedual throughout the week is so busy, I dropped it. 

So anyway, christmas is driving me nuts. The little guys, I dunno. Gideon is probably going to get a little bike with training wheels and Noah, who knows, that baby is so mellow and he has so many hand me downs to play with that i question the point in buying him more stuff. But I can't not get him stuff. He will probably end up with a range of toys. Cars, trucks. not that we don't already have plenty of those. 

Oh well. I have work to do for school next week. and I have a crap load to do for my classes, which are close to ending. And I still need to secure daycare for next semester. GOd, i hope all this falls together for me. 

2 comments:

msholiday said...

Sorry your son is driving you insane......it's his job right now. ;) I don't have a solution other than drop the hammer and tell him he must join something...at least you will get a break during those times, and left to his own devices he will make poor choices so you will have to make good choices for him. Do you have Boy Scouts? How about Cadets? Both of these organizations get kids involved in the community and have a lot of organized activities that won't cost you a whole lot. Just my thoughts for today.

Anonymous said...

What about taking him to a martial arts class. They are often quite structured and a great place to use up excess energy!