I was talking to my aunt earlier today. she is hosting thanksgiving this year and I wanted details about what to bring and when to come. turns out I am bringn green bean cassarole and I need to show up on sunday.
She is worried about Grampa, he has odviously had early altzeimer's for a few years and he is getting bad, for lack of an better term. He gets weepy at unpredicatble times, can also be known to say ugly things if something gets his goat. He is getting physically weaker and (his girlfriend?) wanda says that he spends his days watching the stock market. He has always been a very robust person, a farmer and bussiness owner who was a work a holic and always up to something, he isn't anymore.
It makes me sad, but right now it is distant. He and my mother didn't get along well and so my grandparents were not a huge presense in my childhood. No one came to my highschool graduation but my dad. I think i may have gotten a card for graduating college. IT was a matter of, show up at the family get togethers and we'll be nice to ya, but don't expect us to go out of the way.
And then my aunt gets to talking about her NA friends (If you don't know yet, my parents and most of my relitives of that generation were all druggies) and how the kids (he son and a daughter, my brothers) have all gone that way and are so stupid about it. And how they blame everyone else for how bad their lives are (My brother Tom especially thinks its someone else's fault he's such a looser). And then she throws in what a miracle my life is.
I don't know how I feel about that. That by all odds and statistics I should be a drug-using, alcoholic, do nothing idiot like the yahoos she meets at the meetings. Should I feel priuder of myself? Or relieved? I don't know. I know that my life for the most part is lonlier then the lives of my brothers and cousins. I know that I have trouble standing in a room and feeling like I fit there.
I think that is because, I haven't found a room full of people I fit in. I'm an alien. And what really scares me is that I may be raising aliens. Unable to really relate to anyone, and too shy to try.
2 comments:
I'm an alien as well, and I kinda like it. As for your boys, get them involved in sports and more sports, boy scouts or cadets. Get them involved in everything until he/they find something they like. After school programs, get him out there and involved.
Yeah, I dig being an alien too; in my family I'm the outcast.
Being the black dog, the outcast, is'nt for everyone; it gets lonely.
While my family rejected me, my circle of friends embraced me.
I am loved & so are you Alley.
Hey Alley, if addictive personalities and substance dependence runs in your family, well then I'd say you were the one that turned out normal.
Everyone of us is self-conscious about ourselves, this is normal too.
-You're a single parent doing the work of both parents raising not 1 but 3 boys.
-You're in the career field you wanted, you're a teacher.
-Your quality of life is improving little by little because you're busting your ass for you & your boys while their fathers are conspiciously absent.
Don't feel akward when you're in a crowded room Alley, feel at ease, because the truth of it all is that no one really has it together, nobody is truly normal.
-Dino
Post a Comment