Tuesday, December 23, 2008

sometimes I wonder about the society I live in

So, we went to the mall yesterday. ANd don't get me wrong, for the most part we had fun, or at least I had fun while Isaiah grumbled, but what can you do but keep trying, right? Any way, i noticed something that has bugged me ever since. 

And that is the large number of women who wear full faces of heavy makeup complete with shimmery lips and lip liner and the eyes and the full thing. I hate the look, I think its trashy and screams a lack of good sense and confidence in one's own appearance. I am a person who will almost never wear makeup. I try, I own makeup, but by the time I get around to putting it on, its time to go. Or I do put it on and my face feels sunny and itchy all day. And my eyes sting and burn from the eye makeup, so for the most part, I don't do makeup.

I know this is unusual. I think that sometimes people don't take me seriously as an adult proffesional woman or that I give the wrong impression by not wearing makeup. But really, is it that big a deal? I didn't think so. 

But looking around at the mall, a place that is supposed to be casual and hetic, at all the made up faces I wonder if maybe I am wrong about the whole thing.  Maybe it is so engrained in our culture that women are froufrou that not wearing makeup and not publicly fretting about my weight and not tramping around in high heels is a detriment. But god I hope not. 

And then I was looking at the pictures a friend of mine has on her facebook. She is a facebook friend, not a real world been in touch friend. I went tohigh school with her and remember a tall pretty girl who while not the brightest buld on the tree, was always kind and genuine with people. 

All her pictures are her, with lots of other people, drinking beers or cocktails in some bar or club there in our home town. Thats it, She has a child, but he's in the party pict too. The only other picts are of her trying to look like taylor swift or jessica simpson. Is that the height of what we put put there now? How closely we resemble celebrities? How great a time we are to be around, as evidenced by the number of drinks we are photographed holding?

It makes me sad. There are days I get very sad at how solitary I am, but it seems like when I raise my head to take a look at the culture, I want to go hide from it some more. 

2 comments:

msholiday said...

Make up.....we women and some men are sold by advertising that we must put on our face....the bottom line is....we as a society have been brainwashed to think we must buy all this crap and put it on our face or "we are letting ourselves go", it's a money making industry, and we are fools falling for it. Girl....listen to Grandma Linda, it's a barrel of crud. As for booze and drugs...make believe happiness. As for the Stars and Actors, what have they really accomplished or created, and we put these druggies and and god knows what, on a pedestal and glorify them and make these people into millionaires.
You are so way ahead of the pack in your thinking. Putting goop on ones face looks ghoulish at best and I feel sorry for them because I see what it can do to erode ones confidence. I see it everyday in my Mom who is 84 yrs. old and wears full face makeup right from the foundation on up. She looks like she is ready for Halloween, I have told her to lighten up but she just can't go without it, she feels ugly. Thanks to advertising and Corporate greed.
I know how you feel going to the mall, I go through the same thing. Our Society as a whole has way too much disposable money and warped thinking on buy buy buy stuff that will end up at the curb sooner than later. It took me sixty years to get to this kind of thinking and you my dear are very normal and sane. It's the rest of Society that is completely brainwashed because it started at a younger age with T.V. advertising, somehow they missed you. I could go on forever about how after WWII Corporations realized how easy it was to brainwash the masses and this is the results.
Hope you and your family are having a wonderful Christmas.

Andromeda Jazmon said...

I am like you. I can't wear makeup. I try to get into the habit every Sept. cause I think it will make me look more professional and I think I probably do look prettier with it on well, but I just can't get the swing of it. It makes me late for work and cranky. It's itchy and uncomfortable and I hate taking it off again. Usually by October I give up on it and ear rings too. LOL

I was at the Y the other day and we saw the guy who is the summer camp director. He is 20 something and handsome and we like him. But when we were chatting with him I was totally distracted because he looked like he was wearing makeup. I couldn't believe it! I swear he had foundation and eyeliner on. Why would he do that at work at the Y? Maybe it was my imagination. I hope so.