Get to work and remember that today is the begining of lent and that its a mass day. I usually go, but I knew it would be packed today, so I stayed behind. I can't take the host and I doubt they would have been happy to put the ash cross on me too. I was planning on making up some flash cards for a game I want to play with my classes. Its called "what am I?" I put a description of an animal or class of animals on one side and the answer on the other.
The kids each get one and they read the clues and go another student guesses, they go around the room like this. Hopefully they have a little fun and manage to learn a thing or two.
Well, as soon as the students and staff got back, the shit hit the fan. See, someone came up with this great idea that a few of us teachers should take turns scanning lunch cards. That saves the school from hiring someone to do it. Well, I hate it. I have to somehow keep track of who didn't have a card yesterday, who is in the hole, who is on free lunches and can't get extras like ice cream and cookies, make sure that no one is getting away with not paying for everything they take, and make sure that everyone gets a chance to eat, all the while i have to harp on the servers to save me some, because the one and only lunch worker will give food away to make it look like she didn't make way too much.
Well, part of the issue today was my fault. I usually wait around for a little while after the initail rush before closing up and eating my own tray. Yesterday the line cleared really quickly and no one had come in a few minutes, so I closed up and went upstairs to plan and just get a breath. Peeing is an issue because my only break on weeks like these is first thing in the morning. I don't trust these kids to be left alone.
So anyway, aparently sixty lunches were ordered yesterday and only forty kids showed up to buy them. So today I go tjumped on (by a damn secretary no less) about closing early. I said hey, sorry, no one else was coming through the line.
So then it became this big thing. Who is responsible for making sure the kids know they have to pay for extras like a huge helping of macaroni and who is responsible for NOT telling them its just okay, that they can jsut have it. Well, the lunch lady is also the mother of a senior student, she gives food away all the time, she will give kids huge helpings on seconds and then tell me not to charge them extra for it.
She basically lied to the boss and said that the line wasn't finished and that she never ever told kids they could jsut have something or aksed me not to charge her daughter for something. I am not going to stand in an office and argue with a person about what I"ve seen happen, so I said okay, whatever. And my boss says that I am changing my story. I said no, I'm just not going to stand in an office, with office staff and teachers (who never seem to be in THEIR rooms) listening in.
Well, the situation was calmed down a little. i made clear that I am tired of being the one whe has to spend all day hearing about it from students that they had to pay for the (whatevers) that "miss santillian jsut piled on my plate". Cause I am. I didn't get into teachign to be a shop keeper, or an accountant. I'm tired of everyone and their uncle telling me "this is how we do it" and then getting pissed on over something "I" did wrong.
Anyway. I"m looking for a new job. Pittsbugh has a science and technology position open at the middle school. I think I'll put in for it, and just pray for me that something close enough to pittsburg that we can stay here and I can use my new skills.
GOD, I just wish I were better at this inter-office crap. IT sucks. i shouldn't have to watch my back all the time. I shouldn't have to check up on other people.
One bright note, my new glasses came in today. They look great! I look awsome in them. Anyway,
3 comments:
Any photo's of your new glasses?
Sorry about the crap at school. Never heard of such thing, teachers keeping track of lunch stuff. Don't worry Alley, this too shall pass and there is always new crap to take it's place. ;-)
Oh, now I get the lunch thing. Should have read this post first. Ugh. Sounds like a fantastic job.
Well, I would rather go to the trouble of checking off who ordered a lunch as they come through the line then be blamed for the kitchen not making money when a certain illiterate lunch lady makes too much food.
Post a Comment